Please note these events that are all happening this month!
The first 3 are not run by LELS but should be of interest. I apologize for the last minute notice on tomorrow morning's Dept of Labor award at the Working Hands Legal Clinic. Make sure to RSVP to LERA and NELA if you can attend.
1) Thursday Feb. 4th 7:30 - 9:30 AM Working Hand Legal Clinic @ 77 West Washington 2nd Fl. "Honors the IL Dept of Labor"
2) Monday Feb. 8th 11:30 AM - 2 PM - registration is attached LERA @ 10th Floor Events Rm "Corporate Governance in the Workplace" email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP
3) Monday Feb. 15th All Day Event - program is attached NELA /Illinois will hold its Ninth Annual Seventh Circuit Conference at Chicago-Kent
4) Tuesday Feb. 16th 12 Noon @ Pot Bellies Informal Lunch & Chat with LELS Exec. Board Members Sara Grammes & Dan Kaspar
5) Monday Feb. 22nd 3 - 4 PM LELS Informal Discussion "Where is Labor Headed?" Visiting Prof. Julius Getman, an expert in statistical research on labor trends since the 1970s, gives LELS the inside scoop over tea & cookies.
6) Wednesday Feb. 24th 3 - 4 PM LELS Federal Sector Career Panel Guest Speakers Jenifer Lang, Director of HR for Social Security Administration in Chicago And Michael McAuley, National Counsel for the National Treasury Employees Union
You will get individual reminders as we get closer to each event, but please take time to save the dates and times now if you can. You won't want to miss any of it!
THE COLLEGE OF LABOR & EMPLOYMENT LAWYERS WRITING COMPETITIION FOR LAW STUDENTS 2009-2010
Submissions are now being accepted for the 2009-2010 College of Labor and Employment Lawyers Writing Competition for Law Students.
TOPIC: The scope of permissible topics is broad i.e. any aspect of domestic public or private labor or employment law. Students are encouraged to present (a) public policy issue, (b) practical implications of a leading case or doctrine, (c) comment on a statute or the need for a statutory modification and (d) comment on a common law doctrine.
ELIGIBILITY: All currently enrolled undergraduate law students attending accredited law schools in the Unites States.
PRIZES: First prize - $1,500 / Second prize - $1,000 / Third prize - $500
In addition to a monetary award, the winner will have his/her article distributed to all fellows with a future issue of the College newsletter and posted on the College's website. The ABA Journal of Labor & Employment Law has indicated a strong interest in printing the winning entry. Winners will also be invited guests at the Annual Induction Dinner of the College where they will be recognized and honored during the evening program.
DEADLINE: Articles must be e-mailed no later than 5:00 pm (pdst) on May 14, 2010 or post marked no later than May 1, 2010.
LABOR AND EMPLOYMENT LAW SOCIETY (LELS)
Dear members of the Chicago-Kent community:
I am pleased to announce that Sara Schumann (3L) has been elected to serve as the new Labor and Employment Law Society president and Sara Grammes (2L) has been elected to continue as Secretary.
I am confident that both Saras, along with the current executive board members and class representatives, will do many things in 2010 to continue to build the LELS!
Here are the current officers:
- President - Sara Schumman
- V.P. for Internal Affairs - Tamara Starks
- V.P. for External Affairs - to be determined
- Treasurer - Mark Berardi
- Secretary - Sara Grammes
Finally, this will be my last message as the outgoing president of the LELS. It has been a pleasure to serve in this role.
If anyone wishes to remain in contact with me (I finished my coursework this December), my personal e-mail is "email@example.com.'
Best wishes for 2010!