SofTest Registration and download site for Summer 2005 Final Exams opens Fri., July 1st.
SofTest registration and download site for Summer 2005 final exams opens Friday, July 1st.
If you signed up to take one or more exams on computer (either a lab computer or your own laptop);
you MUST read the following information
Chicago-Kent College of Law uses a special program, SofTest, for taking exams on computers. The advantage of using the SofTest program is that it increases the stability, security, and reliability of the exam taking process. Since adopting SofTest and its predecessor programs, we have experienced very few problems with lost exams or corrupted exam files.
If you are taking an exam on computer, you will write your exam using the word processing program built into SofTest. Please read the appropriate section below, depending on whether you plan to use a lab computer or your own laptop to take the exam. If you are taking the exam on your laptop, please note that you must not only download and install the SofTest program, but must also bring certain necessary hardware components to the exam.
CONTINUING FOR Summer ‘05: If you are taking an exam on a computer lab desktop PC, you MUST log in with the user name "labexam". SofTest will not work on Lab PC's if you log in as yourself.
Although the program is simple to use, please spend a few minutes reviewing the SofTest help file that is located on the network. The help file is located at: X:\SpringExams\HelpFile\SofTest.hlp. Just double click the file to begin viewing. You may also use SofTest to run a practice exam from any lab computer during the exam period (go to Start, Programs, SofTest; then click on the “Practice Exam” button on the lower edge of the SofTest window). Just as on exam day, you will have to log into the Lab PC’s as “labexam” in order to take the practice test. Please contact the CLC Help Desk for the password.
In order to take exams on your own laptop, you will have to download the SofTest software from the web. THE ENTIRE DOWNLOAD/INSTALLATION PROCESS MUST BE COMPLETED WHILE YOU ARE LOGGED IN TO THE CHICAGO-KENT NETWORK WITH YOUR C-K USER NAME!
· On this web page (http://www.examsoft.com/chicagokentlaw), click on the “Exam Takers” tab at the bottom of the page, and the click the “New User Signup” button.
· On the following page, fill in the required information, select "Personal Computer," and then acknowledge the license agreement.
· Click the “Download & Install” button and follow the directions. Reboot your computer as required.
· Click “Yes” if you are prompted to retake the qualification exam.
This version of SofTest is new as of June 2005. If you have a previous version already installed on your computer, you MUST uninstall the old version, and download and install the new version. Do not choose any upgrade options. See further information below.
Provided below is some important information about downloading and installing the software. The process is somewhat time-consuming, so please do not wait until the last minute. If you have any problems or questions, contact the Help Desk (Room 540; e-mail: HELPDESK; phone: 906-5300).
Please note that you MUST come to the exam with the SofTest program properly installed and configured. This includes fully completing the "registration and qualification" process on ExamSoft's web site. Additionally, you should bring the following hardware components with you:
(1) a power cord
(2) a network card
(3) a network cable
(4) a floppy disk drive (if owned)
If you do not have the software properly installed, or are missing any necessary equipment, you will be required to hand write your exam.
Important Information about Downloading and Installing SofTest:
* In order to guarantee that SofTest will function properly on your computer, ExamSoft has implemented a software registration and qualification procedure as part of the SofTest download. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE ENTIRE REGISTRATION/ QUALIFICATION PROCESS OR THE SOFTWARE WILL NOT FUNCTION ON EXAM DAY! You have not completed the process until you see “Registration: Complete” under the “SofTest Status” section of the program’s first screen. Please read on for details.
* You should remove any prior versions of SofTest or other ExamSoft software from your computer before trying to install the new version. To do this, click on the Windows “Start” button ->“Settings” -> “Control Panel” -> “Add/Remove Programs,” find “SofTest” and then follow the directions to uninstall it. Reboot your computer after you perform this task.
* The process for obtaining and installing SofTest requires a number of steps to be performed online at ExamSoft's web site located at http://www.examsoft.com/chicagokentlaw. We recommend that you download and print out the instructions for this procedure as well as ExamSoft's list of frequently asked questions (FAQ's) at http://www.examsoft.com/faq before you begin.
* To download the program, you will be required to provide a "Student ID". In the “Student ID” field, please enter the five-digit exam number previously e-mailed to you by the Registrar’s Office. This will be your Student ID number throughout the exams on computer testing process.
* YOU MUST COMPLETE THE ENTIRE DOWNLOAD/INSTALLATION PROCESS WHILE YOU ARE LOGGED IN TO THE CHICAGO-KENT NETWORK WITH YOUR C-K USER NAME! There are two reasons for this. First, your Chicago-Kent network account must have full permissions to do anything on your laptop. The easiest way to check that this is the case is to complete the entire download and installation process (including registration and qualification) while you are logged in to the Chicago-Kent network. Second, you must be able to access the file server drives on the Chicago-Kent network. If you can not properly log in to the Chicago-Kent network, you will not be able to open your exam files.
* Due to the requirement of accessing shared network drives, Windows XP Home Edition will not function for taking an exam on your laptop at Chicago-Kent.
* Due to the above mentioned permissions requirements, you can not borrow a laptop from a fellow student to take your exams.
* Chicago-Kent does NOT support any form of wireless networking for exams on computer.
* All students are encouraged to use provided floppy disks as a means of backup during exams on computer. If you will be taking an exam on your laptop, and it is not currently equipped with a floppy drive, it is up to you to decide if the additional floppy disk backup warrants the purchase of an external floppy disk drive. Any exams taken on computer lab PC’s will be expected to have a floppy disk backup.
You will receive a final registration confirmation by email containing your student ID, password, institution, and registration number if you completed the registration process successfully. If you do not receive the confirmation email, please stop by room 540 or call the Help Desk (312) 906-5300 for further assistance.
How to transfer your existing Chicago-Kent e-mail to your new alumnae/i account.
How to download your Kentlaw account emails to your alum mail account.
HOW TO DOWNLOAD YOUR KENTLAW ACCOUNT EMAILS THAT ARE IN YOUR INBOX TO YOUR ALUM MAILBOX.
Note - All alum account quota limit is 50MB, system notifies users when quota reaches 9M. Please delete all unwanted emails prior to transferring your emails.
Note - This process moves your email messages from your Kentlaw account to your alum account, keeping a copy or removing them from the Kentlaw Account as selected. If you have more emails in your account than your alum account quota will allow, it will download emails till your quota has been filled, and it will leave the remaining on Kentlaw Account.
Note - If you fill your mail quota on the alum account, you will not be able to receive messages. It is suggested that delete messages you don't need anymore.
* To transfer your email messages you must perform the following steps:
To download your kentlaw account emails that are in your inbox subfolders to your alum mailbox move all the emails from the subfolders to the inbox and repeat the above procedure.
* Open your web browser to:http://alum.iit.edu
* Enter your login (IIT Unified Name)
* Enter your password (Last six digits of your IIT Campus Wide ID number)
* Press Login
Your IIT unified name as well as your IIT Campus Wide ID number, can be found on the welcome page of the Chicago-Kent "Web for Students" system.
*Click the Inbox, Folder, Sent Mail,or Trash tab.
*Click Collect External Mail, in the bottom right of the Inbox or Folder tabs.
*Enter the following information:
- Pop Server: mail.kentlaw.edu(for students)
- POP user ID: (your Kentlaw login name)
- Password: (your Kentlaw password)
- Delete Messages from Server: If you want the mail you are collecting to be deleted from the server from which it's being collected, click the checkbox to select it.
- Save to folder: From the drop-down list, choose a folder to which you want the mail copied.
* Click Collect
* If you recieve a message indicating that your alumni account is reaching its quota, please start deleting some of the emails you do not require and are of no importance. After deleting messages, click on the 'Options' tab.
* This will show you your allotted disk space (your quota) and how much you have used. It is ideal to keep at least 2MB free within your email account to ensure that you can receive all emails that are sent to you.
* After you have finished, click on the 'Logout'.
Free e-mail available to Chicago-Kent alumnae/I at alum.iit.edu
December 2004 and May 2005 Graduates:
For those of you leaving us for greater ventures, we would like to wish you the best. We'd also like to share the below information with you regarding your email, network and printing accounts
For May 2005 graduates, your printing account will be terminated after commencement May 23, 2005.
We would like to take this opportunity to remind you that your kentlaw.edu user account will expire August 1, 2005. Now that you have graduated, it is time to think about closing this portion of your law education. Please help us by removing all email messages and files from the C-K network as soon as possible so we can make room for the incoming students.
By being an alumnus of Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago-Kent Law School it is our pleasure to offer you free (kentlawalum.iit.edu) email service. Your account will be created by July 8 , 2005, and all you need to do is activate it by logging on to the web access link below, typing in your current C-K user name, and then typing in the last 6 digits of your Social Security Number as your password.
Web access: http://alum.iit.edu/
Username: (IIT Unified Name)
Password: (Last 6 digits of your IIT Campus Wide ID number)
Your IIT unified name as well as your IIT Campus Wide ID number, can be found on the welcome page of the Chicago-Kent "Web for Students" system.
Best wishes and good luck to all!
ATTENTION: Printing and e-mail termination for December 2004 and May 2005 Graduates
The Center for Law and Computers will reset printing accounts to 400 pages May 23, 2005. For students continuing on at C-K, anything printed on or after May 23, 2005 will count toward your 400-page limit for the Summer Session.
*** IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CONTINUING STUDENTS
You must settle your student printing account with the Bursar's Office before receiving your 400 pages allotment for your next semester. Students with outstanding balances will have their Kentnet accounts deactivated until the outstanding balance is paid-in-full.
For those of you leaving us for greater ventures, we want to wish you the best. We'd also like to share the below information regarding your email, network and print accounts.
- Printing accounts were terminated on May 23, 2005 (day after commencement).
- On August 1, 2005 (first Monday after July bar), all May 2005 graduates network, H: drive, and email accounts will be terminated.
- ***IMPORTANT REMINDER***
Graduating students with a delinquent printing balance will not receive their diplomas or be certified to the Illinois Bar Examiners until the accounts are paid in full.
If you are at the C-K downtown campus and need to print, we offer the option for newly graduated students who have special projects over the summer to extend printing privileges to labs 700, 760, and 900. Please contact the Center for Law and Computers at (312) 906-5300 or Helpdesk@kentlaw.edu for further information.
By being an alumnus of Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago-Kent College of Law it is our pleasure to offer you free (kentlawalum.iit.edu) email service which may be accessed at http://alum.iit.edu . Your account has been automatically created. No sign up is necessary.
Since these accounts are hosted by IIT Main Campus, your e-mail address may be in a format different than what you were used to at Chicago-Kent. The address will be in the form of: [IIT Unified Name]@kentlawalum.iit.edu . For convenience, your account will also have a second e-mail address of [IIT Unified Name]@iit.edu . The password for your account is the last six digits of your IIT Campus Wide ID number.
Your IIT unified name as well as your IIT Campus Wide ID number, can be found on the welcome page of the Chicago-Kent “Web for Students” system. Detailed information about your kentlawalum.iit.edu account, including the web address, username/password format, and how to transfer mail messages from your Chicago-Kent e-mail can be found on the Center for Law and Computers Record page at [fill in address].
Best wishes to all and Good Luck in your future endeavors!
Speed of the Upgraded Webmail System
The new Webmail system is based on the most recent version of Microsoft's Outlook Web Access product. This new version does require a faster connection (more bandwidth) in order to take full advantage of the new features and enhancements. As a result, it is possible that users of certain dial-up Internet connections may feel as if the new Webmail system runs slowly.
A broadband Internet connection such as a cable modem or DSL will provide the optimal means by which to use Webmail to it's fullest extent. If, however, you are limited to a dial-up Internet connection, there are a few things you can do to maximize the speed of your Webmail experience.
First, consider choosing the "basic" Webmail interface on the main Webmail login screen. The basic Webmail interface functions very closely to the previous version of Webmail. While many of the new features and enhancements are not available in the basic interface, it should run noticeably faster over a dial-up connection than the premium interface. Note that you must use Internet Explorer 5.5 or above to use the premium interface. If you use any other Web browser, you will automatically be taken to the basic interface.
Second, make certain your computer is clean of viruses and spyware. Even if a virus or piece of spyware is not causing any apparent physical harm, it can still be consuming bandwidth in your Internet connection. This may go unnoticed in a broadband connection. On a dialup connection, however, spyware and viruses can consume a significant percentage of your available bandwidth. The CLC recommends the program "Spybot Search & Destroy" from Safer Networking for detection and cleaning of spyware. A link to this program, as well as the CLC's information on virus scanning are below.
Lastly, if you must use a dial-up Internet connection, make certain that it is from an ISP that actively maintains its dial-up infrastructure in order to ensure you are getting the fastest and cleanest connection possible over your phone line.
CLC Information on Virus Scanning
Chicago-Kent's Wireless Network
The Chicago-Kent Library is now Wireless
The Center for Law & Computers is pleased to announce the unveiling of Chicago-Kent's Wireless Network. The implementation of the wireless infrastructure provides complete connectivity and access to all law school network resources (e.g. email, printing, and home directory) in the following areas of the building: