A message from the CLC department:
To assure your experience at Chicago-Kent College of
Law is a positive one, the Center for Law and Computers
is available to assist you with your computer and
technical questions and concerns. You can reach a member
of our staff by calling (312) 906-5300 (6-5300 house
or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are located in suite 540 if you would like to stop by
SofTest registration and download site for Spring 2006 final exams now open
SofTest registration - If you signed up to take one or more exams on computer (either a lab computer or your own laptop); you MUST read the following information
Chicago-Kent College of Law uses a special program, SofTest, for taking exams on computers. The advantage of using the SofTest program is that it increases the stability, security, and reliability of the exam taking process. Since adopting SofTest and its predecessor programs, we have experienced very few problems with lost exams or corrupted exam files.
If you are taking an exam on computer, you will write your exam using the word processing program built into SofTest. Please read the appropriate section below, depending on whether you plan to use a lab computer or your own laptop to take the exam. If you are taking the exam on your laptop, please note that you must not only download and install the SofTest program, but must also bring certain necessary hardware components to the exam.
CONTINUING FOR Spring ‘06: If you are taking an exam on a computer lab desktop PC, you MUST log in with the user name "labexam". SofTest will not work on Lab PC's if you log in as yourself.
Although the program is simple to use, please spend a few minutes reviewing the SofTest help file that is located on the network. The help file is located at: Z:\SpringExams\HelpFile\SofTest.hlp. Just double click the file to begin viewing. You may also use SofTest to run a practice exam from any lab computer during the exam period (go to Start, Programs, SofTest; then click on the “Practice Exam” button on the lower edge of the SofTest window). Just as on exam day, you will have to log into the Lab PC’s as “labexam” in order to take the practice test. Please contact the CLC Help Desk for the password.
In order to take exams on your own laptop, you will have to download the SofTest software from the web. THE ENTIRE DOWNLOAD/INSTALLATION PROCESS MUST BE COMPLETED WHILE YOU ARE LOGGED IN TO THE CHICAGO-KENT NETWORK WITH YOUR C-K USER NAME!
· On this web page (http://www.examsoft.com/chicagokentlaw), click on the “Exam Takers” tab at the bottom of the page, and the click the “New User Signup” button. A new registration is required each semester. ExamSoft web site options for "returning users" are not applicable to Chicago-Kent.
· On the following page, fill in the required information, select "Personal Computer," and then acknowledge the license agreement.
· Click the “Download & Install” button and follow the directions. Reboot your computer as required.
· Click “Yes” if you are prompted to retake the qualification exam.
This version of SofTest is new as of March 2006. If you have a previous version already installed on your computer, you MUST uninstall the old version, and download and install the new version. Do not choose any upgrade options. See further information below.
Provided below is some important information about downloading and installing the software. The process is somewhat time-consuming, so please do not wait until the last minute. If you have any problems or questions, contact the Help Desk (Room 540; e-mail: HELPDESK; phone: 906-5300).
Please note that you MUST come to the exam with the SofTest program properly installed and configured. This includes fully completing the "registration and qualification" process on ExamSoft's web site. Additionally, you should bring the following hardware components with you:
(1) a power cord
(2) a network card
(3) a network cable
(4) a floppy disk drive (if owned, see end of message for details)
If you do not have the software properly installed, or are missing any necessary equipment, you will be required to hand write your exam.
Important Information about Downloading and Installing SofTest:
* In order to guarantee that SofTest will function properly on your computer, ExamSoft has implemented a software registration and qualification procedure as part of the SofTest download. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE ENTIRE REGISTRATION/ QUALIFICATION PROCESS OR THE SOFTWARE WILL NOT FUNCTION ON EXAM DAY! You have not completed the process until you see “Registration: Complete” under the “SofTest Status” section of the program’s first screen. Please read on for details.
* You should remove any prior versions of SofTest or other ExamSoft software from your computer before trying to install the new version. To do this, click on the Windows “Start” button ->“Settings” -> “Control Panel” -> “Add/Remove Programs,” find “SofTest” and then follow the directions to uninstall it. Reboot your computer after you perform this task.
* The process for obtaining and installing SofTest requires a number of steps to be performed online at ExamSoft's web site located at http://www.examsoft.com/chicagokentlaw. We recommend that you download and print out the instructions for this procedure as well as ExamSoft's list of frequently asked questions (FAQ's) at http://www.examsoft.com/faq before you begin.
* To download the program, you will be required to provide a "Student ID". In the “Student ID” field, please enter the five-digit exam number previously e-mailed to you by the Registrar’s Office. This will be your Student ID number throughout the exams on computer testing process.
* YOU MUST COMPLETE THE ENTIRE DOWNLOAD/INSTALLATION PROCESS WHILE YOU ARE LOGGED IN TO THE CHICAGO-KENT NETWORK WITH YOUR C-K USER NAME! There are two reasons for this. First, your Chicago-Kent network account must have full permissions to do anything on your laptop. The easiest way to check that this is the case is to complete the entire download and installation process (including registration and qualification) while you are logged in to the Chicago-Kent network. Second, you must be able to access the file server drives on the Chicago-Kent network. If you can not properly log in to the Chicago-Kent network, you will not be able to open your exam files.
* Due to the requirement of accessing shared network drives, Windows XP Home Edition will not function for taking an exam on your laptop at Chicago-Kent.
* Due to the above mentioned permissions requirements, you can not borrow a laptop from a fellow student to take your exams.
* Chicago-Kent does NOT support any form of wireless networking for exams on computer.
* All students are encouraged to use provided floppy disks as a means of backup during exams on computer. If you will be taking an exam on your laptop, and it is not currently equipped with a floppy drive, it is up to you to decide if the additional floppy disk backup warrants the purchase of an external floppy disk drive. Any exams taken on computer lab PC’s will be expected to have a floppy disk backup.
You will receive a final registration confirmation by email containing your student ID, password, institution, and registration number if you completed the SofTest registration process successfully. If you do not receive the confirmation email, please stop by room 540 or call the Help Desk (312) 906-5300 for further assistance.
top of page
Summer 2006 Semester - The Cost to Print Increases on KENTNET
On Monday, May 22, 2006 the cost to print will increase from 5 cents per page to 7 cents per page. As a student you will continue to receive 400 free pages each semester; however, when you exceed the 400 free pages your cost will increase to 7 cents per page.
top of page
CLC Policies - Students are required to show C-K photo ID card for loaner computer equipment
Help Desk Policy! The CLC has
implemented a procedure that requires all students to present
their Chicago-Kent ID card for service..
The CLC Help Desk does provide the service of temporarily
loaning laptops to students. This service is restricted to
those who have purchased their own laptop and the laptop has
been serviced by a technician at the CLC Help
Desk. Once the technician has
determined that the laptop needs to be sent to the
manufacturer for repairs or is inoperable a student will be
loaned a laptop. The laptop loans are for a one (1) week
period only. In addition, the CLC Help Desk does not loan power adaptors or any other laptop
accessories for laptops. In order for this service to
benefit everyone, this policy must be strictly adhered to.
Once a user returns a laptop, that same user cannot have
another laptop loaned to him/her for at least two (2)
The Help Desk will make a photocopy of student's ID when
loaner computer equipment is requested. The procedure was implemented
to best serve the needs of all Chicago-Kent student's.
We appreciate your cooperation in adhering to this policy.
top of page
It is critical to update your Windows operating system and Internet Explorer software regularly. Just as it is important to update the virus definitions of your antivirus software, it is equally important to update the Windows operating system and Internet Explorer software on your computer. Just like virus definitions, Windows and Internet Explorer should be updated weekly. Fortunately, Microsoft makes this process fast and easy with their "Windows Update" web site.
Please click on the link listed below under instructions to print out the full documentation on how to update windows.
top of page
Remove Unnecessary Files on the Network
The Center for Law and Computers provides access to the
Network for Chicago-Kent students, faculty, and staff in
support of the educational mission of the university. In
recent months we have noticed an increase in the amount of
personal storage space being consumed on our network. As we
continue to maintain and scan the network drives we are
noticing numerous occurrences of non-educational types of
materials (i.e., MP3, .wav, .mov, .avi). We understand that
there are occasions when storing these types of files on the
network for educational use is legitimate.
As you may well be aware, court decisions
potentially makes us liable if members of our community engage
in infringing activity. As a reminder to all students, a
portion of the IIT Computer Use Policy states, "Network users
must abide by the terms of all software licensing agreements
and copyright laws, and may not make copies of or make
available on the network copyrighted material, unless
permitted by a license. Network users must not perform acts
which are deliberately wasteful of computing resources or
which unfairly monopolize resources to the exclusion of
others..." The complete Computer User Policy can be found at:
When you save and store large music, image, video, or other
types of non-educational related material on the network it
increases the time it takes for system backups and virus
scanning; the large downloads also consume unnecessary
bandwidth. Please be considerate of
your colleagues and remove or transfer to your laptop ALL
files in violation. If files are not removed, the
Center for Law and Computers is authorized by the
administration to permanently remove them for you.
We ask that you purge all unnecessary messages and files as
often as possible from your network and email accounts to help
us preserve space on the C-K server. As a reminder, in Outlook
mail, you must delete messages from your "Deleted Messages"
folder for them to be permanently removed from the mail
server. It is also a good maintenance procedure to delete any
unneeded messages in the "Sent" folder.
top of page
CLC Monthly Network
The Center for Law and Computers will conduct regular
monthly maintenance windows on the first Tuesday of every
month (5a.m. - 7a.m. in the morning) for "Patch and\or Update"
management on systems that need to be rebooted.
Remember too that there may be "emergency" times when
manufacturers release "critical" update patches that need to
be installed immediately. The CLC will make every attempt to
send out an announcement in advance when the "critical"
updates need to be installed and systems rebooted (however, we
cannot always guarantee advance notice since certain
patches/updates need to be applied ASAP before a breach is
All network services including Internet access, email,
webmail, network drives, and network printing will be down
during the above scheduled time.
Maintenance will be conducted on the following
Tuesday, May 2, 2006
Tuesday, June 13, 2006
Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Chicago-Kent's Internet Service Provider (Illinois
Century Network) backbone maintenance window is on Fridays from 2:00am - 7:00am. During this maintenance window it is possible that the Downtown Campus building may
experience intrmittent Internet connectivity.
top of page
Latest McAfee DAT file as of
5/1/2006 is sdat4750
top of page
CLC Contact Information and Office Hours
Technical Support Help Desk Hours of
Operation - Office 540
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 6:00
Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Phone: (312) 906-5300
Fax: (312) 906-5165
top of page