A message from the CLC department:
To assure your experience at Chicago-Kent College of
Law is a positive one, the Center for Law and Computers
is available to assist you with your computer and
technical questions and concerns. You can reach a member
of our staff by calling (312) 906-5300 (6-5300 house
or sending an email to email@example.com.
We are located in suite 540 if you would like to stop by
SofTest registration and download site for fall 2008 is open
If you will betaking one or more exams on computer (either a lab computer or your own laptop); you MUST read the following information.
Chicago-Kent College of Law uses a special program, SofTest, for taking exams on computers. The advantage of using the SofTest program is that it increases the stability, security, and reliability of the exam taking process. Since adopting SofTest and its predecessor programs, we have experienced very few problems with lost exams or corrupted exam files.
If you are taking an exam on computer, you will write your exam using the word processing program built into SofTest. Please read the appropriate section below, depending on whether you plan to use a lab computer or your own laptop to take the exam. If you are taking the exam on your laptop, please note that you must not only download and install the SofTest program, but must also bring certain necessary hardware components to the exam.
The SofTest software includes the ability to download exam files over the Internet and upload completed exams back to ExamSoft. Chicago-Kent does not utilize this functionality. All exams on computer at Chicago-Kent are obtained from "local" resources on Chicago-Kent's own network and saved back to these same resources upon completion. Any references you see to downloading or uploading of exam files in the SofTest software or the ExamSoft web site should be disregarded.
CONTINUING FOR Fall ‘08: If you are taking an exam on a computer lab desktop PC, you MUST log in with the user name "labexam". SofTest will not work on Lab PC's if you log in as yourself.
Although the program is simple to use, please spend a few minutes reviewing the SofTest help file that is located on the network. The help file is located at: Z:\FallExams\HelpFile\softesthelp.chm. Just double click the file to begin viewing. Computer Lab PC's are generally not prepared for final exams until 2-3 business days prior to the start of the exam testing period. As such, practice use of the SofTest program on Computer Lab PC's is not guaranteed to be available prior to the start of exams.
Windows 2000 Professional, Windows XP Professional, Windows Vista Business Edition, and Windows Vista Ultimate Edition are the only supported platforms for exams on computer at Chicago-Kent. Additionally, all laptops running a supported Windows operating system must be fully configured for the Chicago-Kent network (network drives visible at login).
Wireless network connections are not supported for exams. Use of Mac computers is also not supported for exams. Please see the "Computer Notes & Policies" section for additional information.
In order to take exams on your own laptop, you will have to download the SofTest software from the web. THE ENTIRE DOWNLOAD/INSTALLATION PROCESS MUST BE COMPLETED WHILE YOU ARE LOGGED IN TO THE CHICAGO-KENT NETWORK WITH YOUR C-K USER NAME!
· On this web page (http://www.examsoft.com/chicagokentlaw), click on the “New User Signup” button located in the Exam Takers box on the upper-left of the page. A new registration is required each semester. ExamSoft web site options for "returning users" are not applicable to Chicago-Kent.
· On the following page, fill in the required information, and then review and acknowledge the license agreement by clicking the "I Agree" button. As stated on the web page, use your five digit exam number as your student ID. NOTE: the password you choose will be emailed to you in clear text. It is therefore recommended that you choose a password that is different from your email/network password.
· On the Account Info screen, click the “Download SofTest” button. If prompted with a choice, do not run the SofTest installer file at this time. Save the file to somewhere on your computer (such as the desktop) and then go run it yourself. Reboot your computer as required.
· Any prompts from SofTest to download or upload exam files can be ignored. Chicago-Kent does not currently use the Internet for delivery or taking of exams.
· Click “Yes” if you are prompted to take or retake the qualification exam.
If you have a previous version already installed on your computer, you MUST uninstall the old version prior to downloading and installing the new version. Previous versions of SofTest will be expired and will not function for exams. Do not choose any upgrade options. See further information below.
Provided below is some important information about downloading and installing the software. The process is somewhat time-consuming, so please do not wait until the last minute. If you have any problems or questions, contact the Help Desk (Room 540; e-mail: HELPDESK; phone: 906-5300).
Please note that you MUST come to the exam with the SofTest program properly installed and configured. This includes fully completing the "registration and qualification" process on ExamSoft's web site. Additionally, you should bring the following hardware components with you:
(1) a power cord
(2) a network card or built-in Ethernet port
(3) a network cable (no wireless!)
(4) a floppy disk drive (if owned, see below for details)
If you do not have the software properly installed, or are missing any necessary equipment, you will be required to hand write your exam.
Important Information about Downloading and Installing SofTest:
* In order to guarantee that SofTest will function properly on your computer, ExamSoft has implemented a software registration and qualification procedure as part of the SofTest download. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE ENTIRE REGISTRATION/ QUALIFICATION PROCESS OR THE SOFTWARE WILL NOT FUNCTION ON EXAM DAY! You have not completed the process until you see “Registration: Complete” under the “SofTest Status” section of the program’s first screen. Please read on for details.
* You should remove any prior versions of SofTest or other ExamSoft software from your computer before trying to install the new version. To do this, go to the Windows Control Panel, double-click “Add/Remove Programs” (XP) or "Programs and Features" (Vista), find “SofTest” and then follow the directions to uninstall it. Reboot your computer after you perform this task.
* The process for obtaining and installing SofTest requires a number of steps to be performed online at ExamSoft's web site located at http://www.examsoft.com/chicagokentlaw. We recommend that you download and print out the instructions for this procedure as well as ExamSoft's list of frequently asked questions (FAQ's) at http://www.examsoft.com/faq before you begin.
* To download the program, you will be required to provide a "Student ID". In the “Student ID” field, please enter the five-digit exam number e-mailed to you by the Registrar’s Office. This will be your Student ID number throughout the exams on computer testing process.
You will receive a final registration confirmation by email containing your student ID, password, institution, and registration number if you completed the SofTest registration process successfully. If you do not receive the confirmation email, please stop by room 540 or call the Help Desk (312) 906-5300 for further assistance.
COMPUTER NOTES & POLICIES
* YOU MUST COMPLETE THE ENTIRE DOWNLOAD/INSTALLATION PROCESS WHILE YOU ARE LOGGED IN TO THE CHICAGO-KENT NETWORK WITH YOUR C-K USER NAME! There are two reasons for this. First, your Chicago-Kent network account must have full permissions to do anything on your laptop. The easiest way to check that this is the case is to complete the entire download and installation process (including registration and qualification) while you are logged in to the Chicago-Kent network. Second, you must be able to access the file server drives on the Chicago-Kent network. If you can not properly log in to the Chicago-Kent network, you will not be able to open your exam files.
* Due to the above mentioned permissions requirements, you can not borrow a laptop from a fellow student to take your exams.
* Due to the requirement of accessing shared network drives, Windows XP Home Edition, Windows Vista Home Basic, and Windows Vista Home Premium will not function for taking an exam on your laptop at Chicago-Kent.
* All students are encouraged to use provided floppy disks as a means of backup during exams on computer. If you will be taking an exam on your laptop, and it is not currently equipped with a floppy drive, it is up to you to decide if the additional floppy disk backup warrants the purchase of an external floppy disk drive. Any exams taken on computer lab PC’s will be expected to have a floppy disk backup.
* Chicago-Kent does not support any form of wireless networking for exams on computers. All connections should be "hard-wired" with a standard Ethernet network cable. You are responsible for supplying your own Ethernet cable when taking an exam on your laptop.
* Chicago-Kent does not support the use of Mac computers for exams. This is true regardless of whether the Mac is running Mac OS X or a Microsoft Windows operating system.
The Center for Law and Computers has a limited supply of laptop computers reserved for use in emergency situations that arise during exam period. Please contact Dean Sowle if you register to take an exam on a laptop, and your laptop suffers unexpected problems that cannot be remedied before your exam.
The CLC's laptops also may be used (subject to availability) if your computer has problems immediately before or during an exam, as long as the problem is not due to your failing to properly configure or register your laptop to run the SofTest program. Students who have not properly configured or registered SofTest on their computers will be given bluebooks and will write their final exams.
Because of limited supply, the CLC's laptops are not available for general loaning purposes during exam period, including to students who do not own a laptop or are Mac users. However, if you have exceptional circumstances that you believe justify borrowing a laptop for an exam, please contact Dean Sowle.
top of page
CLC Apple Mac Support Information
In response to the concerns of the increasing number of Apple Mac users at the law school, the CLC is pleased to announce support for Mac computers. Follow the link below for a basic guide to assist you with various options available to Mac users.
top of page
CLC Monthly Network
The Center for Law and Computers will conduct regular
monthly maintenance windows on the first Tuesday of every
month (5a.m. - 7a.m. in the morning) for "Patch and\or Update"
management on systems that need to be rebooted.
Remember too that there may be "emergency" times when
manufacturers release "critical" update patches that need to
be installed immediately. The CLC will make every attempt to
send out an announcement in advance when the "critical"
updates need to be installed and systems rebooted (however, we
cannot always guarantee advance notice since certain
patches/updates need to be applied ASAP before a breach is
All network services including Internet access, email,
web mail, network drives, and network printing will be down
during the above scheduled time.
Maintenance will be conducted on the following
Tuesday, Jan 13, 2008
Chicago-Kent's Internet Service Provider (Illinois
Century Network) backbone maintenance window is on Fridays from 2:00am - 7:00am. During this maintenance window it is possible that the Downtown Campus building may
experience intermittent Internet connectivity.
top of page
Latest McAfee DAT file as of 12/15/2008 is sdat5463
top of page