As you may know, we use a special program, SofTest, for exams taken on computer. The advantage of using the SofTest program is that it increases the stability, security, and reliability of the exam taking process. Since adopting SofTest and its predecessor programs, we have experienced very few problems with lost exams or corrupted exam files.
If you are taking an exam on computer, you will write your exam using the word processing program built into SofTest. Please read the appropriate section below, depending on whether you plan to use a lab computer or your own laptop to take the exam. If you are taking the exam on your laptop, please note that you must not only download and install the SofTest program, but must also bring certain necessary hardware components to the exam.
Although the program is simple to use, please spend a few minutes reviewing the online tutorial at http://www.kentlaw.edu/distancelearning/elearn/webhelp/SofTestug.htm . In addition, you may run the practice version from any lab computer (go to Start, Programs, SofTest; then click on the Practice button on the lower right of the screen).
In order to take exams on your own laptop, you will have to download the SofTest software from the web. Go to http://www.examsoft.com and follow the directions. This is a new version of SofTest, so if you have a previous version already installed on your computer, you will have to uninstall it, and download and install the new version (see below for further information).
Provided below is some important information about downloading and installing the software. The process is somewhat time-consuming, so please do not wait until the last minute. If you have any problems or questions, contact the Help Desk (Room 525; e-mail: HELPDESK; phone: 906-5300).
Please note that you must come to the exam with the SofTest program properly installed and with the following hardware components: (1) a power cord, (2) a network card, (3) a network cable, and (4) a floppy disc drive. If you do not have the software properly installed, or are missing any necessary equipment, you will be moved to a hand-writing room.
Important Information about Downloading and Installing SofTest:
* In order to guarantee that SofTest will function properly on your computer, Examsoft has implemented a software registration and qualification procedure as part of the SofTest download. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE ENTIRE REGISTRATION/ QUALIFICATION PROCESS OR THE SOFTWARE WILL NOT FUNCTION ON EXAM DAY! Please read on for details.
* Examsoft has not certified the SofTest program to run under Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Windows ME). If you are scheduled to take an exam on your laptop and you are using Windows ME, you must contact the Help Desk so that alternate arrangements can be made.
* You should remove any prior versions of SofTest or other Examsoft software from your computer before trying to install the new version. This can be done by selecting SofTest in the Windows "Add/Remove Programs" control panel, and then clicking the "Add/Remove..." button. Reboot your computer before proceeding if you perform this task.
* The process for obtaining and installing SofTest requires a number of steps to be performed online at the Examsoft website, located at http://www.examsoft.com . We recommend that you download and print out the instructions for this procedure as well as Examsoft's list of frequently asked questions (FAQ's) before you begin. Links to both these items can be found at the top of the first page of the web site's "Students" section. You may also pick up a hard copy of both documents at the Registrar's Office or the Help Desk.
* To download the program, you will be required to provide your "Student ID." You are not required to enter your Chicago-Kent student ID number in this field. Instead, please enter your five-digit exam number (previously e-mailed to you by the Computer Center).
* We recommend that you complete the entire procedure while connected to the Chicago-Kent network. There are two reasons for this. First, the download portion of the process requires approximately 30-40 minutes to complete over a 56K modem connection. This time can probably be reduced to 10-15 minutes over a "hard wired" Internet connection such as Chicago-Kent's network. Second, it is much easier to complete the registration/qualification procedure if you have a persistent connection to the Internet. If you plug your laptop into the Chicago-Kent network, your Internet connection will simply "be there" as long as you remain physically connected. If you use a dial-up connection, you will have to keep track of when you are connected and when you are not.
* You will be assigned two unique numbers during the registration/qualification procedure; a "qualification number" and a "registration number." Write these numbers down and keep them with your Chicago-Kent exam number. You will need to refer back to these numbers during the registration/qualification procedure. Computer Center staff may also need these numbers should you need to reinstall SofTest for any reason.
Chris Matheny, Registrar
Stephen D. Sowle, Assistant Dean