Office of Financial Aid:
News & announcements for the week of
November 30, 1998

Main Record Index 
Chicago-Kent Home Page 
E-mail Financial Aid
Bar Loans

There are special loans available to students for the Bar Examination.  The loan is used for the costs associated with fees for the bar review course and living expenses.  To be eligible for a bar loan, students must be credit worthy and can apply as early as six months before graduation.  Below is a chart of general details on the bar loans offered by some lenders.  For more information, contact the lender at the telephone number provided. 

Key Bank (800)540-1855 $ 8,000 6 months before to 
2 months after 
Access Group (800)800-1550 $ 7,500 6 months before to 
1 month after 
Law Loans (888)272-5543 $ 7,500 6 months before to 
1 month after 
Principal Bank (800)542-6005 $ 5,000 6 months before to 
9 months after 

Petitions to Register with an Unpaid Balance

If you have an unpaid balance and are expecting Fall financial aid to arrive to cover that balance, a Petition form can be completed and the Hold may be removed from your student account with the Bursar's Office.  The Office of Financial Aid will continue to complete Petition forms during Spring 1999 registration.   

The Petitions can be dropped off by 5 p.m. and will be available for pick up the next business day after 12 noon.   

They are completed based on expected and guaranteed aid or loan proceeds for this current term.  Please note that by federal regulation, unpaid Fall term balances cannot be covered by estimated Spring disbursements. 

For more information about Holds on student accounts and Fall balances due, contact the Bursar's Office at (312) 906-5160.  

 1999-2000 Renewal FAFSAs

The U.S. Department of Education (DOE)  will begin mailing Renewal FAFSAs for the 1999-2000 academic year to those students who applied for federal aid for 1998-1999.  Students can complete the paper Renewal FAFSA and mail it for processing on or after January 1, 1999.  Alternatively,  
if your permanent mailing address has not changed, you can complete the Renewal FAFSA with FAFSA on the Web at on or after January 15, 1999.  Please note that if you are completing the Renewal FAFSA online, you must have an Electronic Access Code number (EAC).  This number is issued by the U.S. Department of Education and is similar to a personal identification number.  It is provided as a security measure of updating your personal and confidential information on the Internet.  You can call the U.S. Department of Education at (800) 4 FEDAID to request your EAC. Do not forget to print and mail your certification page after transmitting your application. 

 If you have changed your permanent address from what  you reported for the 1998-1999 academic year, a Renewal FAFSA will not be mailed to your current address.  For security reasons, the DOE does not permit that Renewal FAFSAs be forwarded to a different mailing address.  Therefore in order to begin the 1999-2000 financial aid process, you must do one of the following: 

1) Call DOE processing center at (319) 337-5665 to update your address information.  For a limited time only, your address can be updated so that you may receive a Renewal FAFSA. 

2) Complete the paper FAFSA or electronic FAFSA with FAFSA Express on or after January 1, 1999, FAFSA Express is a specially designed software from the U.S. Department of Education.  For your convenience, the FAFSA Express software has been installed on a computer in the Registrar's Office. 

3) Complete the FAFSA online with FAFSA on the Web at on or after January 15, 1999. 

If you have any questions, feel free to contact our office. 

Office Hours

The Financial Aid Office is open Monday through Thursday, 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM and Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.  We are located on the second floor in Suite 230.  Please feel free to stop in our office during business hours with any concerns or questions you may have. 

Main Record Index Top of Page