Chicago-Kent home page Student portal Faculty portal Staff portal About The Record Current Record headlines Publication deadlines The Record archives

Office of Financial Aid

Office of Financial Aid home page
Week of May 20, 2002

Graduating Students -- Exit Interviews

All graduating students MUST complete an Exit Interview. You may complete this requirement either by stopping by our office to fill out the paper Exit Interview form, or by logging on to and completing the electronic version of the Exit Interview.

Award Letters

The Financial Aid Office began mailing out Award Letters on March 7. If you have not yet received an Award Letter for the 2002-2003 academic year, please make sure you have completed your 2002/03 FAFSA. Once the electronic copy of your FAFSA arrives at our school, you will receive an Award Letter.

Please note that for the upcoming academic year, students will receive Award Letters by both first-class mail and e-mail. Students may access their Award Package at:

Continuing Students

For the 2002/03 academic year, Federal Stafford loans will be processed with the lender that you selected for the current (2001/02) year and will be for the amounts that are listed on each student's 2002/03 Award Letter. If you wish to select a different lender, please notify the Financial Aid Office in writing (an e-mail would suffice).

ALL STUDENTS -- Applying for Private Loans

PRIVATE LOAN PROCESSING FOR 2002-2003 (for Summer and Fall-Spring): In order to receive a private loan for Summer 2002 and/or Fall-Spring 2002-03, you must apply for the loan directly with the lender of your choice. You may apply for the loan(s) on-line at the lender's web site, by downloading an application from their web site, by picking up an application at our office or by applying over the phone (only with certain lenders). If you complete a paper application, please turn it in to our office.

Please keep the following in mind when applying for a private loan: Summer 2002 is a separate loan period from Fall-Spring 2002-03 and requires a separate private loan application. Therefore, if you want private loans for Summer and Fall-Spring, you need to apply for two loans with your lender.

Also, before you apply, we suggest that you contact your lender to find out the current terms fo their private loan (such as interest rates, fees and repayment options), because some lenders are still using the terms for 2001-02 and have not yet updated their systems with the new 2002-03 terms.

Summer Processing

We will process summer federal loans for students who specified on their 2002/2003 FAFSA that they would be enrolled at least half-time for the Summer term. If you completed the 2002/03 FAFSA, but did not specify that you would be enrolled for Summer and have since decided that you will take Summer courses, please e-mail the Financial Aid Office at and state how many hours you intend on registering for. Students must complete the 2002/03 FAFSA in order to receive Summer federal loans. Please also note that you will not be packaged for financial aid or receive an Award Letter until you register for summer classes. In addition, students will receive a revised Award Letter for the academic year beginning with the fall term. For students who wish to apply for a private loan for the Summer, please read the information that precedes this paragraph.

FAFSA Information:

For the current (2001/02) academic year, complete the 2001/2002 FAFSA. For the upcoming (2002/03) academic year, complete the 2002/2003 FAFSA or the 2002/2003 Renewal FAFSA.

Begin the federal financial aid application process online using the Department of Education's FAFSA on the Web.  It's free, fast, easy and accurate!! - Contact the Downtown Campus Office of Financial Aid to find out about additional paperwork that may be required to process your financial aid.

Illinois Institute of Technology- Downtown Campus School Code: E00773

In order to complete your FAFSA online, you must have a PIN number. In order to obtain a PIN number, you may access the following website:

If you need help completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), the Department of Education provides this helpful site with complete instructions, and phone numbers if you need more help:


Tax Benefits for Higher Education

Did you know that there are U.S. tax breaks if you plan to go to college?  Go to the following website to learn about tax breaks for those either planning to go to college, already in school, or for people who have graduated and are paying back loans on their education:

Exit Interviews

Exit interviews may be completed by visiting the following website:

Graduating students or students who have withrawn from the school must complete Exit Counseling. Students who graduated in December and have not received a Borrower Profile may contact the Financial Aid Office.

You may obtain information about your outstanding federal loans by visiting The National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). NSLDS is the U.S. Department of Education's central database for student aid.  NSLDS provides a centralized, integrated view of Title IV loans that are tracked through their entire cycle: 


Visiting Another Law School

If you are planning to visit another law school for any term, and you would like to apply for financial aid, please submit all of the required paperwork to ensure receiving your disbursements in a timely manner.  If you have any questions regarding this process, please call the Office of Financial Aid. 


The following forms are available to download:

1. Chicago-Kent Study Abroad Financial Aid Request Form
2. Chicago-Kent Visiting Away at Another Law School Request Form
3. 2001-2002 Verification Worksheet
4.  Student Worksheet A, B and C
5.  Express Federal Loan Application
6.  Express Alternative Loan Application


These forms can be downloaded from forms page

Joint-Degree Students

If you are a student who is planning on taking both Law and MBA Courses for the 2001-02 academic year, please be advised that this may affect your financial aid.  Please call the Financial Aid Office at (312) 906-5180 and schedule an appointment with a financial aid counselor so we may give you a detailed breakdown of how your loans will be disbursed.

Private Loan Programs

Signature Loan Update:   Signature Loan from Bank One was originally one of our preferred lenders listed on the 2001-02 Alternative Express Loan Application.  Please be advised that we have substituted Law Loans for Signature Bank.  The same terms still apply.  In addition, Saliie Mae is still the servicer for that particular loan program. 

Promissory notes for Law Loans are available in the Office of Financial Aid.

IIT Loan from IDAPP:  If you chose Illinois Institute of Technology as your private loan lender for the 2001-02 academic year, you must also select Illinois Institute of Technology as your preferred Federal Stafford Loan lender, -OR- you must select a lender not on our preferred lender list but who is an  Illinois lender for your Federal Stafford Loans. You can apply for this loan online at - If you want the school to initiate the process, you must complete an Alternative Express Loan Application.

Office Hours

The Office of Financial Aid is open Monday through Thursday, 8:30 AM to 6:00 PM and Friday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM.  We are located on the second floor in Suite 230.  Please feel free to stop in our office during business hours with any concerns or questions you may have. 



.: Main Chicago-Kent event

.: Academic calendar

.: CLE calendar

.: Alumnae/i event calendar

.: Admissions calendar

Chicago-Kent home page Student portal Faculty portal Staff portal About The Record Current Record headlines Publication deadlines The Record archives