Chicago-Kent launches Web site redesign
On March 16, 2004, the Office of Public Affairs began the roll-out a newly redesigned, main Chicago-Kent Web site. Although the new design presents a different look, basic site navigation remains the same. Browsers will find the familiar audience-based links in the main navigation menu across the top of each page to take them to the corresponding portal pages. Conversion of the entire site will take place over the week or so following the launch, so there will be several days during which some of the pages on the site will still reflect the old design.
Some of the new features to look out for on the new site include:
For every page reflecting the new site design:
For the home page:
- The page header now includes links to the online calendar and the Record to make it easier to find these resources.
- The page footer now includes links to the Webmail login screen and a field for entering search terms for the Chicago-Kent site.
For the portal pages:
- A major photographic element to add a more graphic feel to the home page.
- A scrolling presentation of substantive news items to add a dynamic page element. The column heading above the scrolling area links to a page that compiles the scroller content.
- C-K Dateline: An element highlighting events in Chicago-Kent history. Clicking on the text takes you to the entire collection of current dateline entries. The entries will load randomly each time the page is refreshed.
- The left sidebar includes entries for upcoming events listed in Chicago-Kent's online calendar. These items feed directly from the calendar database into the portals. The specific calendars represented are relevant to the various portals.
- The news portal includes an automatic headline feed from the New York Times (www.nytimes.com).
Student organizations: Please use the customizable template page to create your first Record announcement page incorporating the Record design and navigation. Check with the CLC's Help Desk, firstname.lastname@example.org,
extension 6-5300, room 525, if you have questions about posting Record announcements.
Departments, academic units and administration:
Check with Jon Taylor in the office of Public Affairs, extension
6-5115, room 677B, or e-mail
Jon to obtain the Dreamweaver template for your Record page.
The Record publication schedule
The Record resumed to its weekly fall publication schedule beginning with the August 18, 2003, issue. All headline submissions must be received by noon of the Thursday prior to the issue date for inclusion in the main headline Record page of the next issue. As always, please e-mail your submissions to email@example.com.
Please remember that the main Record headline page is uploaded on Fridays at noon. All individual department/organization Record announcement pages should be uploaded on Friday afternoon as well so that the headlines will match the current announcements. Also, the Record archiving program runs automatically over the weekend. If Record pages are not uploaded to the server until Monday, they will not be be archived.
Please feel free to contact Sue Pierard (ext. 6-5252) with any questions, or e-mail your submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
February Names in the News online
Members of the Chicago-Kent community appear frequently in the media. Highlights of media placements and interviews from recent months appear in the Chicago-Kent Names in the News page.