question 8

I think Bradeis and Story interpreted the Rules of decision act differently b/c I think that Swift interpreted the Act to show that state laws did not include state common law of a general nature, so federal courts followed their own view of what the general common law
was. Bradeis's interpretation, I think, was meant to show that the Rules of Decision Act was not intended to exclude all state "general" common law, but to use the "law of the several states".