AFFIDAVIT OF SLY DROOL
- I am a citizen of Massachusetts.
- I reside in Rock Hall, Maryland,
living at 4500 Beach Road.
- I am 28 years old.
- I have bachelors and masters degrees in mechnical engineering from the
Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
- I am motorcycle design engineer at Yamahonda,
Inc., working in its facility in Rock
- I have written ten professional articles on motorcycle design. Three
of them concern motorcycle safety features.
- At the direction of my employer, I conducted crash tests on two models
of Yamahonda motorcycles, the Penumbra Sport and
the Penumbra Safe on 15 December 2009.
- The purpose of the tests was to determine if the leg-protection bars
on the Safe would protect a rider from traumatic leg amputation if the
rider was involved in a crash with a concrete bridge abutment at speeds
of 30 miles per hour and at 60 miles per hour.
- My test results showed that the bar would absorb enough energy in a 30
mph collision to protect the riderís leg from serious injury, but that
at 60 mph, it would not. At 60 mph, the riderís leg likely would be severed,