1. Mr. Sanderson renegs on bet made to Ms Lee in IL on Kentucky
Derby; he bet on Nunca Triunfo, which did not win.
KY enforces bets; IL doesn't. KY choice of law rule says where
"subject matter of bet;" IL says law where contract formed.
Ms Lee sues Mr. Sanderson in KY; based on KY service-of-process
rule which says, "jurisdiction over anyone served with process while in
KY, and over any property attached in KY."
a. Sanderson takes a USAirways flight from ORD to DCA; served at
2. Suppose bet made in KY
3. Sanderson served in USAirways Charlotte LAX flight while over
4. Sanderson is sky diving from Lunken Field; wind blows over
KY and then back to OH; Deputy O'Brien serves Georges while over KY.
5. Lee serves writ of garnishment on Ms Kuhfuss while in KY;
Kuhfuss hasn't paid another bet to Sanderson, for El Caballo Peor.
6. Serve by attaching Sanderson's automobile while in parking lot
of CVG (for bet); he drove there to go skydiving
7. Serve by attaching Sanderson's automobile while in parking lot
of CVG (finance co. suit for repossession)
8. Serve by attaching Sanderson's vacation home in Lexington; suppose
only a 1 week time share? A hotel room for one night?
9. HHP served with Serb process while in Kosovo; defaming the
Serbian secret police (SDB); default; try to enforce in IL; Serbia claims K
still part of Serbia
10. state statute authorizes "personal service," equivalent in every respect to capias service by email, if return receipt is received.