In this issue... Week of February 15, 1999
Index of Back Issues
|| News and Announcements from|
|| Administrative Offices|
Dean Henry H. Perritt, Jr.
Assistant Dean Stephen D. Sowle
- Requests to change divisions for Fall 1999.
Strategies for Excellence: Law as a Profession 1999
- The program was a smashing success! Thank you to all those who participated.
- See pictures of the various events and comments from students.
Administration and Finance
- Weekly activities schedule.
- Thank you volunteers.
- Reminder: Orientation coordinator applications due today!
- MLER Exam writing program.
- Tax 1098-T forms.
- DEADLINE: Student aid report.
- 1999-2000 financial aid packages.
- Summer 1999 financial aid application.
- Office hours.
- DEADLINE: Applications for externship with U.S. Attorney's Office due 2/19.
- Reminder: Summer & Fall 1999 Judicial Externship Program - Informational meeting Tues. Feb 16.
- Class of 2000, 2001, and LL.M. minority students: register by Feb. 22 for the Cook County Bar Association's 16th Annual Minority Student Job Fair.
- Upcoming programs:
- Interviewing skills for 1Ls, 2/16 & 2/17
- Networking skills, 2/24 & 2/25
- Government service career opportunities forum, 3/6.
- 3Ls, 4Ls, Jan. '99 or '98 grads: openings with Illinois Appellate Court, 4th District.
- Summer opportunity with the Office of Management and Budget in Washington, DC.
- Office of the Cook County State's Attorney seeks volunteers.
- Job opportunities and other Record handouts:
- Judicial clerkships
- External programs
- Help the Office of Admissions improve its housing information by completing the 1L Housing Survey.
- Office of Admissions hours.
- Administrative law tutorial.
- Displays honoring civil rights defenders.
- Resources on the practice of law - Strategies for Excellence: Law as a Profession 1999.
- Federal tax forms on eLOISe.
- Forms on disk.
- For a description of all clinical programs, please visit the Law Offices home page at: www.kentlaw.edu/academics/clinic
- Reminder: An information meeting for Summer and Fall 1999 Judicial Externships will be held on Tuesday, February 16, 1999, at 12:00pm in room 370.
- Judicial Externships for Summer and Fall 1999 semesters are available. DEADLINE: Applications for the Summer semester are due February 26, 1999. Applications for the Fall semester are due March 9, 1999.
- Fall 1999 Semester: Externships for U.S. Attorney Northern District of Illinois. Current second year students only. DEADLINE: Completed applications must be received at the Office of the U.S. Attorney by Friday, February 19, 1999.
- To find out about the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Program (LADR), read the description in the Law Office's home page. Questions may be directed to Prof. Gary Laser in room 631 or by e-mail, glaser.
- Reminder: The LADR Faculty Committee will review the LADR applications and determine which applicants will be admitted into the program sometime before March 1, 1999.
Center for Law and Computers
- New look of computers at Chicago-Kent!
- New lab is open. This lab is conveniently located on the fifth floor in room 545.
- New virus detection software.
- The student directory is now available online.
- Student printing deadlines.
- Answers to some of the most commonly asked questions of the CLC.
- Network maintenance schedule.
- Critical information regarding Chicago-Kent merit-based and need-based scholarships and awards for the 1999-2000 academic year.
- 1998-99 outside scholarships -- new award listed.
| || News and Announcements from|
| || Faculty and Law School Programs|
Professor Suzanne Ehrenberg
- Seeking a motivated, detail-oriented student to serve as administrative assistant for the Charles Evans Hughes Competition.
Professor Ronald Staudt
- Research assistants needed for a Judicial Web Site Collaboratory and Distance Learning in law school project.
Serving Our Society (SOS)
- First defense legal aid.
- Domestic violence.
- Shephardize and WIN.
- Tip of the week.
Continuing Legal Education
Certificate Program in Labor and Employment
- Spring meeting and get together.
Program in Environmental and Energy Law
- 2/19 Profs. Jim Krier and Michael Heller of the University of Michigan Law School.
- 4/5 Tom France, senior attorney for the National Wildlife Federation.
- 4/9 Environmental Justice Forum
- Speakers include Professor Richard Lazarus from Georgetown Law School, Keith Harley from the Chicago Legal Cinic, and attorneys from USEPA and Illinois EPA.
| || News and Announcements from|
| || Student Organizations|
Chicago Bar Associaton
- Annual CBA Blood Drive competition to be held Wednesday, Feb. 24 in the 10th Floor Event Room...sign up for a time today to help save lives!.
Computer Law Association
- Meeting this Tuesday, Feb. 16 at noon in room 155.
Criminal Justice Society
- Professor Rudstein will discuss the Harry Aleman case Wednesday, February 17 at 5pm in room 570.
Environmental Law Society
- 2/23 CBA's Careers in Environmental Law brown bag lunch.
- 2/25-2/28 NAELS conference.
- Minutes of 2/2 general membership meeting.
Health Law Society
Illinois State Bar Association
- Nominate someone for the ISBA annual public service award.
- Check out the ISBA website with links to over 80 Chicago law firms!
- Let us know what speakers YOU want to see this semester! E-mail us!
Intellectual Property Law Society
- The Chicago-Kent Intellectual Property Law Society would like to announce the annual IPLS Student-Faculty reception.
International Law Society
- 11th Annual International Law Career Day -- February 19.
- General ILS meeting -- February 18.
- Study Abroad Panel Discussion -- February 23.
- Wine & Cheese Fundraising Event -- March 11.
Jewish Law Student Association
- It's PARTY TIME!! Come have a great time!! The Jewish Law Student Association invites you to **A HUGE PARTY**.
- Bocce tournament: Mon., Feb. 15.
- Sign-up sheets on Concourse level.
Kent Justice Foundation
- General meeting: Wednesday, Feb. 17, 3pm, room 170.
- Auction: March 24.
- Donations -- follow-ups!
Moot Court Honor Society
- Moot Court Honor Society team is semifinalist in National Moot Court Competition.
Muslim Law Students Association
- Fall conference.
- Study circle.
Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
- Feb. 16 - Networking series with Arthur Rubin.
- Feb. 23 - Chamber tour with Judge A.L. Marovitz.
- Events calendar.
- Membership information.
Women in Law
- Alumnae/i-Student Reception Tues., Feb. 16 at Woman Made Gallery:
- Student can RSVP to WIL.
- To leave with group, meet in Lobby at 6:00pm.
- February general meetings Wed. 2/24 at 3pm & Thurs. 2/25 at 5pm.
- Reminder: Please donate your great outlines to WIL!