In this issue... Week of February 22, 1999
Index of Back Issues
|| News and Announcements from|
|| Administrative Offices|
Dean Henry H. Perritt, Jr.
- International travel itinerary for Dean Perritt Thursday, February 18 - Tuesday, March 2, 1999.
Assistant Dean Stephen D. Sowle
- Telecommunications Law and Policy: First class meeting.
- Change of Division
- Deadline: Friday, February 26
- Class Ranks
- Advanced Students ONLY
- Submit requests beginning Friday, February 26
Strategies for Excellence: Law as a Profession 1999
- See pictures of the various events!
- Read comments from students about the program.
Administration and Finance
- Weekly activities schedule.
- Orientation Survey for 1L students.
- Everything you wanted to know about AEP, but were afraid to ask...
- Tax 1098-T forms.
- DEADLINE: Student aid report.
- 1999-2000 financial aid packages.
- Summer 1999 financial aid application.
- Office hours.
- DEADLINE: Register by Mon. Feb. 22 for the Cook County Bar Association's 16th Annual Minority Student Job Fair (class of 2000, 2001, and LL.M. minority students).
- DEADLINE: Summer 1999 Judicial Externship applications due by Fri., Feb. 26 to room 612.
- Upcoming programs:
- Networking skills: Feb. 24 at 12pm & Feb. 25 at 5pm. Find out the secrets of savvy networking from successful attorneys.
- Alternative careers: March 2 at 12pm & Feb. 25 at 5pm. Hear from attorneys who are following non-traditional career paths.
- Government service career opportunities forum: 3/6 from 9am-1pm. Interested in a legal career in the government sector? Come learn about your options!
- 1Ls: Ernst & Young, LLP will be on campus to interview 1Ls for summer intern positions for their Tax/Employee Benefits Law Department. Submit resume to CSO by 5pm on March 3.
- LLM taxation students: Chapman & Cutler's Tax Division is seeking resumes of interested students in top 25% for entry-level position. Submit resume to CSO by 5pm on March 8.
- 3Ls, 4Ls, Jan. '99 or '98 grads: Openings with Illinois Appellate Court, 4th District.
- Job opportunities and other Record handouts:
- Judicial clerkships
- External programs
- Help the Office of Admissions improve its housing information by completing the 1L Housing Survey.
- Office of Admissions hours.
- USCCAAN tutorial.
- Circulation policies.
- Media Services video recordings.
- Displays honoring Civil Rights defenders.
- Federal Tax Forms on eLOISe.
- Effective Monday, February 22, 1999, applications for the Summer 1999 Law Offices Clinical Education Program will be available from the receptionist in Suite 600. DEADLINE: Law Offices applications are due by 5pm on March 16, 1999.
- Judicial Externships for Summer and Fall 1999 semesters are available. DEADLINE: Applications for the Summer semester are due February 26, 1999. Applications for the Fall semester are due March 9, 1999.
- For a description of all clinical programs, please visit the Law Offices home page at: www.kentlaw.edu/academics/clinic
- To find out about the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Program (LADR), read the description in the Law Office's home page. Questions may be directed to Prof. Gary Laser in room 631 or by e-mail, glaser.
- Student worker position available.
Center for Law and Computers
- New look of computers at Chicago-Kent!
- New lab is open. This lab is conveniently located on the fifth floor in room 545.
- New virus detection software.
- The student directory is now available online.
- Student printing deadlines.
- Answers to some of the most commonly asked questions of the CLC.
- Network maintenance schedule.
- Critical information regarding Chicago-Kent merit-based and need-based scholarships and awards for the 1999-2000 academic year.
- 1998-99 external scholarships -- four new scholarships available for ATLA law student members.
- No new entries this week.
| || News and Announcements from|
| || Faculty and Law School Programs|
Professor Suzanne Ehrenberg
- Seeking a motivated, detail-oriented student to serve as administrative assistant for the Charles Evans Hughes Competition.
Professor Ronald Staudt
- Research assistants needed for a Judicial Web Site Collaboratory and Distance Learning in law school project.
Serving Our Society (SOS)
- First defense legal aid needs seven to 11 volunteers.
- Domestic violence.
- Shepardize and WIN.
- Tip of the week.
Continuing Legal Education
Certificate Program in Labor and Employment
- Spring meeting and get together.
Program in Environmental and Energy Law
- 4/5 Tom France, senior attorney for the National Wildlife Federation.
- 4/9 Environmental Justice Forum
- Speakers include Professor Richard Lazarus from Georgetown Law School, Keith Harley from the Chicago Legal Cinic, and attorneys from USEPA and Illinois EPA.
| || News and Announcements from|
| || Student Organizations|
- General Meeting, Tuesday, Feb. 23, 1:00 pm, room C25.
- International Women's Day conference.
Chicago Bar Associaton
- Help save lives! The annual CBA/YLS Blood Drive competition will be held Wednesday, Feb. 24th in the 10th Floor Event Room from 11:00a.m.-6:00p.m. Sign up in the Spak Monday & Tuesday for a time to donate. Walk-ins are also welcome!
- YLS Committee Meetings & Seminars for Career Month:
- Seminar: Mon., Feb. 22 from 3-6p.m.: Labor & Employment Law Update: A Year in Review.
- Tues. Feb. 23 at 12pm: Environmental Law & Energy Committee at Chicago-Kent.
- Thurs. Feb. 25 at 12pm: Insurance Law Committee at DePaul.
- Thurs. Feb. 25 at 12:15pm: Estate Planning Committee at CBA.
- Sat. March 6: Government Service Career Opportunities Forum.
Computer Law Association
- Brief meeting Wednesday, February 24 at 3pm.
- Registration forms for the ABA Techshow available.
- New links for the Justice Web Collaboratory are up!
Environmental Law Society
- 2/23 CBA's Careers in Environmental Law brown bag lunch.
- 2/25-2/28 NAELS conference.
- Minutes of 2/2 general membership meeting.
Family Law Society
- Speaker Event: Carolyn Thomas, Office of the Public Guardian, room 580, Thursday, February 25 at 5pm.
- Bake Sales: Please mark your calendars now to bake goodies for March 22 and April 12.
- Start collecting toys and books for the juvenile court now! We will be collecting them later in the semester to donate to the abuse and neglect courts at the Cook County Public Guardian's Office.
Illinois State Bar Association
- Nominate someone for the ISBA annual public service award.
- Upcoming program: How is a small or medium firm different from a large firm? We'll have speakers in March from all three to tell you what to expect from all the different size firms. Watch for further details!
- Check out the ISBA website with links to over 80 Chicago law firms!
- Let us know what speakers YOU want to see this semester! E-mail us!
International Law Society
- Speaker event: David Anderson, General Counsel and Vice President of GATX Corp. will be here to discuss his role as General Counsel in an international corporation on Feb. 23 at noon in room 170.
- Mark your calendars: Wine & Cheese Fest '99 is on March 11!
Kent Justice Foundation
- Auction tickets on sale.
- Bakesale: Wednesday, February 24 -- Spak
- Donations follow-ups!
Labor and Employment Law Society
- Mark your calendars now for the Careers in Labor and Employment Law Panel Discussion on March 16, 1999.
Moot Court Honor Society
- Roe v. Wade re-enactment.
Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
- Chamber tours with Judge Marovitz.
- Networking series.
- Dinner with PAD alums.
- St. Paddy's Day lunch with alums.
Polish American Law Students Organization
Women in Law
- Alumnae/i-Student reception was a huge success! Thanks to all who participated.
- Reminder: February general meetings Wed. 2/24 at 3pm, rm 170 & Thurs. 2/25 at 5pm, rm 510.
- Bake sale on March 2 - we need volunteers!
- Glass Slipper Project drive March 2-4 - Be a fairy godmother by donating your old prom/formal dresses and other accessories!