In this issue... Week of March 1, 1999
Index of Back Issues
|| News and Announcements from|
|| Administrative Offices|
Dean Henry H. Perritt, Jr.
- International travel itinerary for Dean Perritt Thursday, February 18 - Tuesday, March 2, 1999.
Assistant Dean Stephen D. Sowle
- Class Ranks
- Grade Reports
Administration and Finance
- Weekly activities schedule.
- Third parking lot for Downtown Campus.
- Orientation Survey for 1L students.
- Everything you wanted to know about AEP, but were afraid to ask...
- Tax 1098-T forms.
- DEADLINE: Student aid report.
- 1999-2000 financial aid packages.
- Summer 1999 financial aid application.
- Office hours.
- DEADLINE: Register by Mon. Feb. 22 for the Cook County Bar Association's 16th Annual Minority Student Job Fair (class of 2000, 2001, and LL.M. minority students).
- DEADLINE: Summer 1999 Judicial Externship applications due by Fri., Feb. 26 to room 612.
- Upcoming programs:
- "Alternative Careers Inside & Outside the Legal Profession"- March 2 at 12pm & March 3 at 5pm. Learn from several attorneys on non-traditional career paths.
- "Government Services Career Opportunities Forum"- March 6 from 9am to 1pm. Interested in a legal career in the government sector? Come learn about your options!
- "Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Workshops"- Register by March 8 and learn how to use this effective tool in your job search.
- 1Ls, 2Ls, 3Leve: 13th Annual Patent Law Interview Program- register by March 10.
- Mock interviews March 10 &11- prepare for job interviews by honing your skills.
- 1Ls: Ernst & Young, LLP will be on campus to interview 1Ls for summer intern positions for their Tax/Employee Benifits Law Department. Submit resume to CSO by 5pm on March 3.
- LLM taxation students: Chapman & Cutler's Tax Division is seeking resumes of interested students in the top 25% for entry-level position. Submit resume to CSO by 5pm on March 3.
- Job opportunities and other Record handouts:
- Judicial clerkships
- External programs
- Help the Office of Admissions improve its housing information by completing the 1L Housing Survey.
- Office of Admissions hours.
- Illinois Legislative History Tutorial.
- Your current student ID is your library card.
- Circulation policies.
- Media Services video recordings.
- Media Services policy.
- Employer resumes on eLOISe.
- Applications for the Summer 1999 Law Offices Clinical Education Program are available from the receptionist in Suite 600. DEADLINE: Law Offices applications are due by 5pm on March 16, 1999.
- Judicial Externships for Fall 1999 semester are available. DEADLINE: Applications for the Fall semester are due March 9, 1999.
- For a description of all clinical programs, please visit the Law Offices home page at: www.kentlaw.edu/academics/clinic
- To find out about the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Program (LADR), read the description in the Law Office's home page. Questions may be directed to Prof. Gary Laser in room 631 or by e-mail, glaser.
- Student worker position available.
Center for Law and Computers
- New look of computers at Chicago-Kent!
- New lab is open. This lab is conveniently located on the fifth floor in room 545.
- New virus detection software.
- The student directory is now available online.
- Student printing deadlines.
- Answers to some of the most commonly asked questions of the CLC.
- Network maintenance schedule.
- Critical information regarding Chicago-Kent merit-based and need-based scholarships and awards for the 1999-2000 academic year.
- 1998-99 external scholarships -- four new scholarships available for ATLA law student members.
Continuing Legal Education
- ATTENTION- All Students Interested in Civil Rights Litigation.
- Upcoming programs 1999.
- No new entries this week.
| || News and Announcements from|
| || Faculty and Law School Programs|
Order of the Coif Lecture: Monday, March 22
- Dr. Amartya Sen, 1998 Nobel laureate in economics.
- Lecture in "Rational Choice in Law" at 3pm in the Auditorium.
Professor Bartram Brown
- Professor Brown appointed as a "Public Member" of the U.S. delegation to the U.N. Commission on Human Rights.
Professor Philip Hablutzel
- Student discount subscription.
Professor Jeffrey Sherman's Estates & Trusts Exam Review
Professor Richard Wright's Torts Exam Review
Serving Our Society (SOS)
- First defense legal aid needs seven to 11 volunteers.
- Domestic violence.
Certificate Program in Labor and Employment
- Spring meeting and get together.
Program in Environmental and Energy Law
- 4/5 Tom France, senior attorney for the National Wildlife Federation.
- 4/9 Environmental Justice Forum
- Speakers include Professor Richard Lazarus from Georgetown Law School, Keith Harley from the Chicago Legal Cinic, and attorneys from USEPA and Illinois EPA.
| || News and Announcements from|
| || Student Organizations|
- International Women's Day Celebration.
Chicago Bar Associaton
- Blood drive a success--44 pints collected!
- Upcoming YLS events and committee meetings:
- Saturday, March 6: Government Service Career Opportunities Forum- sign up today!
- Tuesday, March 2: Woman in Law- self defense tips for woman.
- Tuesday, March 2: Bankruptcy- current job opportunities in Chicago.
- Wednesday, March 3: School Law- roundtable discussion.
- Thursday, March 4: ADR- In-house ADR programs.
- Friday, March 5: International Law- protection of international investment.
- April: 5K run/walk to benifit Voices for Illinois Children.
Illinois State Bar Association
- Keep watching for more news on our March speaker event. We'll have lawyers from small, medium, and large firms to tell you all about them!
- Nominations for the annual Public Service Award are due March 31 and are available on the concourse under the stairs.
- Check out our website with links to over 80 area law firms!
- We want to hear from YOU! Let us know what kinds of speakers you want to see. Email us!!
International Law Society
- International Law Career Day was a success!
- Interested in doing a study abroad program this summer? Come hear what past particpants have to say about their experiences!
- Mark your calendars: Wine & Cheese Fest '99 is March 11!
- Movie night date changed.
- We still need volunteers for the St. Joe's Bake Sale.
Kent Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Genral meeting, Wednesday, March 10, 3pm at room 270.
Kent Justice Foundation
- General meeting, Wednesday, March 3, 3pm in room 170.
- Auction tickets on sale NOW!
Labor and Employment Law Society
- Remember to RSVP for the March 16 reception!
- List of speakers now available for the speaker panel.
Women in Law
- Reminder: Bake Sale Tuesday, March 2nd- we need volunteers!
- Reminder: Glass Slipper Project drive March 2-4-- Be a fairy godmother by donating your old prom/formal dresses and other accessories!
- "Is Feminism Dead?"- Author F. Carolyn Graglia and Chicago-Kent professors discuss Wednesday, March 3, at 3pm.
- International Woman's Day Conference at Chicago-Kent March 6.
- February general meeting agenda and notes online.