In this issue... Week of March 8, 1999
Index of Back Issues
|| News and Announcements from|
|| Administrative Offices|
Dean Henry H. Perritt, Jr.
- Dean Perritt's travels to central Europe.
Assistant Dean Stephen D. Sowle
- Exams on computers.
- Spring gradutes
- Final list of graduates is posted.
Administration and Finance
- Weekly activities schedule.
- Third parking lot for Downtown Campus.
- MLER program videos.
- Student resource library.
- Orientation survey.
- London law consortium Spring 2000.
- Tax 1098-T forms.
- DEADLINE: Student aid report.
- 1999-2000 financial aid packages.
- Summer 1999 financial aid application.
- Office hours.
- DEADLINE: "Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Workshops" - Register by 3/8 and learn how to use this effective tool in your job search!
- DEADLINE: LLM Taxation Students: Entry-level position in Chapman & Cutler's Tax Division. Submit resume to CSO by 5pm on March 8.
- DEADLINE: 1Ls, 2Ls, 3Leve: 13th Annual Patent Law Interview Program - Register by March 10.
- Reminder: Sign-up for Mock Interviews March 10 & 11 - Prepare for job interviews by honing your skills.
- Complimentary tickets still available for Minority Corporate Counsel Assoc./American Lawyers Diversity 2000 Awards Dinner - register by March 12.
- Upcoming programs:
- "Balancing Life and the Practice of Law" - March 23 & March 25
- "Guerrilla Tactics for Getting the Legal Job of Your Dreams" - Register by April 2 to see noted author Kimm Walton April 10
- Job opportunities and other Record handouts:
- Judicial clerkships
- External programs
- Office of Admissions hours.
- Federal tax research.
- Your current student ID is your library card.
- Lamination available at the Document Center.
- Media Services policy.
- Media Services video recordings.
- Employer resumes on eLOISe.
- Applications for the Summer 1999 Law Offices Clinical Education Program are available from the receptionist in Suite 600. DEADLINE: Law Offices applications are due by 5pm on March 16, 1999.
- Judicial Externships for Fall 1999 semester are available. DEADLINE: Applications for the Fall semester are due March 9, 1999.
- Opportunities available in the Advanced Externship Program for Fall 1999. DEADLINE: Applications are due Friday, March 26, 1999 at 12:00pm.
- For a description of all clinical programs, please visit the Law Offices home page at: www.kentlaw.edu/academics/clinic
- To find out about the Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution Program (LADR), read the description in the Law Office's home page. Questions may be directed to Prof. Gary Laser in room 631 or by e-mail, glaser.
Center for Law and Computers
- New look of computers at Chicago-Kent!
- New lab is open. This lab is conveniently located on the fifth floor in room 545.
- New virus detection software.
- The student directory is now available online.
- Student printing deadlines.
- Answers to some of the most commonly asked questions of the CLC.
- Network maintenance schedule.
- Critical information regarding Chicago-Kent merit-based and need-based scholarships and awards for the 1999-2000 academic year.
- 1998-99 external scholarships -- new awards listed.
Continuing Legal Education
- ATTENTION- All Students Interested in Civil Rights Litigation.
- Upcoming programs 1999.
| || News and Announcements from|
| || Faculty and Law School Programs|
Order of the Coif Lecture: Monday, March 22
- Dr. Amartya Sen, 1998 Nobel laureate in economics.
- Lecture in "Rational Choice and Law" at 3pm in the Auditorium.
The Institute for Law and the Workplace Reception: Tuesday, March 16
- Thinking about what type of law you would like to practice?
- Five unique perspectives on the field of labor and employment law.
Professor Philip Hablutzel
- Student discount subscription.
Professor Jeffrey Sherman's Estates & Trusts Exam Review
Serving Our Society (SOS)
- AIDS/HIV Legal Council of Chicago.
- Tutor/mentor opportunities.
Program in Environmental and Energy Law
- 4/5 Tom France, senior attorney for the National Wildlife Federation.
- 4/9 Environmental Justice Forum
- Speakers include Professor Richard Lazarus from Georgetown Law School, Keith Harley from the Chicago Legal Cinic, and attorneys from USEPA and Illinois EPA.
| || News and Announcements from|
| || Student Organizations|
Chicago Bar Associaton
- Volunteers needed for 5K run/walk to benefit Voices for Illinois Children on April 11.
- Upcoming YLS events and committee meetings:
- Saturday, March 6: Government Service Career Opportunities Forum- sign up today!
- Monday, March 8: Corporate Law Practice meeting
- Friday, March 12: Client Development & Firm Economics meeting
- Friday, March 12: Real Estate Law meeting
Health Law Society
Illinois State Bar Association
- Speaker event: "What's Your Size? The pros and cons of small, medium, and large firms." Wednesday, March 10 at 5:00 in room 590.
- Nominate somone for the ISBA Public Service Award. Someone will be recognized from each Illinois law school... why not you? DEADLINE: March 31.
- Join the ISBA for only $10 per year. Sign up now and get summer publications for free.
- Ideas for speaker events? Let us know who YOU would like to see!
International Law Society
- Don't forget your tickets! Wine & Cheese Fest '99 is March 11!
- Movie night date changed to March 23.
- St. Joe's bake sale coming-up, March 18.
Kent Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Genral meeting, Wednesday, March 10, 3pm at room 270.
Kent Justice Foundation
- General meeting: March 10.
- Bakesale: March 10.
- More t-shirts available.
- Auction: March 24, tickets on sale!
Labor and Employment Law Society
- Don't forget to RSVP for the speaker panel!
- Speaker info available.
- Professional attire strongly recommended.
Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
- Networking series.
- 50/50 raffle.
- Happy hour.
- Not a member yet?
Women in Law
- It's not too late to bring in your dresses for the Glass Slipper Project!
- WIL seeking outlines for: Remedies, Bus.Orgs; Evidence; Estates & Trusts; IL CivPro; Conflict of Laws; Health Care Law; Products Liability; Int'l Human Rights; and Sports Law.
- Thanks to all volunteers for the bake sale/glass slipper drive!
- WBAI student board update.