Headlines for the Week of April 27, 2009
of the Dean
| Student Services
- Academic calendar reminder.
- Fall 2009 registration.
- Spring 2010 preliminary schedule.
- Intensive trial advocacy.
- Spring 2009 final exams:
- Exam schedule.
- Exam emergencies.
- Consulting laptops during exams.
- Cell phones during exams.
- Access to computer labs during exams.
- Availability of professors' old exams.
- Exam method registration.
- Dean's certificate for Illinois bar.
- Bar exams in other jurisdictions.
- Joke of the week.
- Poem of the week.
- Fall 2009 registration. (added 4/27/09)
- Spring 2010 preliminary schedule. (added 4/27/09)
- May 1: Deadline for revoking pass/fail.
- Office hours.
- Student business cards.
- Academic Support Program T.A. applications for fall 2009.
- Health insurance information.
- Student organization transitions.
- Attention spring graduates: Federal loan exit counseling group sessions.
- Did you miss the repayment plan workshop?
- Summer awarding information.
- Graduate PLUS loan repayment answers.
- 2009-10 FAFSA application available.
- May 1: Spring financial aid deadline.
- Pre-registration is now available for the Hispanic National Bar Association (HNBA) Job Fair.
- Paid internship for fall 2009 with the Office of the Chief Counsel for the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Division.
- DRI Law Student Diversity Scholarship.
- Make-up procedures for mandatory Fall OCI Program orientation.
- Urban Debate Advocacy Fellowship for recent graduates and current 3Ls.
- Additional resources and potential opportunities for recent graduates and current 3Ls.
- Registration is now open for the Boston Lawyers Group Job Fairs for Law Students of Color.
- Registration is now open for the St. Louis Diversity Job Fair.
- Registration will be open soon for the Cook County Bar Association (CCBA) Minority Law Student Job Fair.
- Registration is now open for the IMPACT Career Fair for Law Students and Attorneys with Disabilities.
- National Black Prosecutors Association 26th annual Conference and Job Fair.
- The National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Bar Association annual Career Fair and Conference.
- Registration is now open for the Heartland Diversity Legal Job Fair in Kansas City, Mo.
- Registration is now open for the Indianapolis Bar Association (IBA) 2009 Diversity Job Fair.
- August 28 to 29: Save the date for the 2009 Tri-State Diversity Recruitment Program.
- April 28: CSO program: Boot Camp for Summer Jobs.
- April 28: CSO informational program on judicial clerkships.
- Access the BYU Intercollegiate Job Bank.
- Password-protected sites now available through Symplicity.
- Law Bulletin Legal Employment Weekly online bulletin.
- Commencement information for the Class of 2009:
- Required graduation forms:
- Cap and gown form: Due ASAP.
- MANDATORY graduate survey: Complete ASAP.
- May 5 and 6: GRAD FEST--Pick up your cap, gown and Commencement tickets.
- July 29: Post-Bar party at Rock Bottom Brewery.
- Your Commencement timeline.
- 2009 Class Gift:
- Congratulations! You met the participation challenge!
- Section contest winners: Evening students.
- Thank you to our donors.
Career Advisor Network.
- Chicago-Kent is now LinkedIn!
- Apply now for the Attorney CPA Foundation Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Kane County Bar Foundation Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Minority Corporate Counsel Association Scholarship.
- Apply now for the DuPage County Justinian Society of Lawyers Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Defense Research Institute Diversity Scholarship.
- Enter now for the Nonsmokers' Rights Essay Contest.
- Apply now for the Knights of Dabrowski Scholarships.
- Apply now for the Jeremy Protas LGBT Patent Law Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Polish Women's Civic Club Scholarship. The deadline is July 1.
- The NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund Essay Contest.
- Limited-edition boxed copy of Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges on sale.
- Bookstore sale:
- Clearance rack items are 50 percent off at the register.
- Bargain books are now 50 percent off the sticker price.
& Student Programs
- Summer/fall 2009: For-credit legal externships with Chicago Transit Authority Office of the President.
- Fall 2009: Externships with U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Fall 2009: Externships with Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Chicago--new due date.
- Fall 2009: Externships with U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Division.
- Fall 2009: Externships with Cook County Domestic Relations Court.
- Fall 2009: Externships with Financial Industry Regulatory Authority.
- Fall 2009: Externships with Internal Revenue Service, Office of Chief Counsel.
- Fall 2009: Externships with Cook County State's Attorney's Office, Workers' Compensation Division.
- Fall 2009: Externships with Chicago Transit Authority Legal Department--new due date.
- Fall 2009: Externships with U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission, Division of Enforcement--new due date.
- Fall 2009: Externships with U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights.
- For a description of all clinical programs, please visit the Law Offices home page at: www.kentlaw.edu/academics/clinic.
- SmithAmundsen Excellence in Legal Writing Award for first-year students.
- April 28: Boot Camp for Summer Jobs.
- Administrative memo number 11.
- CASCLE Language Exchange Table: Tuesdays.
- Council for American Students in International Negotiations (CASIN) official newsletter.
- Journal of Law and Conflict Resolution call for papers.
- Tuition-free summer programs at Chicago-Kent's partner university in Mexico.
- July 19 to August 15: 2009 Bucerius Summer Program in International Business Law.
- European Commission launches new guide to studying in Europe.
- The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers 2009 Writing Competition rules. The competition ends in May.
- No new entries this week.
& Information Services
- SofTest registration and download site for spring 2009 final exams opened April 20.
- CLC monthly network maintenance schedule.
- Latest McAfee DAT file is sdat5594.
- CLC Web site: http://www.kentlaw.edu/clc.
- May 1 to 15: Restricted access for exams.
- Library spring hours.
- Part-time student employment in the library.
- Become a fan of the library: Find us on Facebook!
- A reminder about security in the library!
- Featured resource: Science Direct.
- General library policies.
- Free CALI lessons available to law students.
- Submit letter of intent for the Certificate in Public Interest Law.
- Institute for Law and the Humanities paper prize.
- Weekly activities schedule.
- Spring 2009 semester building and library hours, effective January 20.
- Spring 2009 student hiring procedures.
- Discount parking: DTC faculty, staff and students for 2009 spring and summer semesters.
- Downtown Campus safety tips.
- Shuttle bus schedule.
- DTC Bursar's Office hours.
- Administration and Finance office hours.
- Online room reservation form.
- Join the Chicago-Kent Advocates.
- Admissions office hours.
- April 30 and May 1: 28th annual Federal Tax Institute.
- Upcoming CLE programs.
- Record templates available for students and staff.
- Human Resources hours at the Downtown Campus.
Click here for the template
to use for creating Record announcement pages. More information is available on the
About the Record page.
- May 3: SBA transition meeting, 5 p.m.
- Still want to be in SBA? It's not too late!
- Check out the new SBA constitutional amendments!
- SBA President Office Hours: Tuesdays, 4 to 5 p.m. in room C88.
- Questions for SBA? Comments for SBA? E-mail them to us!
- If you are interested in joining IPLS, there are membership forms on the IPLS bulletin board on the Concourse.
- April 28: Meet and greet, 4:30 p.m. in room 270.
- Welcome the 2009-10 KJF board.
- Volunteer opportunity.
- Thank you for a great year!
- Congratulations to Mark Hoffman, who is our president for another term!
- Secretary position is still open.
- April 29: Platforms due for upcoming elections.