Headlines for the Week of March 19, 2012
of the Dean
|Dean Harold J. Krent »
Ask the Dean »
- Congratulations to Bernadett Guy, Tara Korthals, Jordan Lebovitz and Erin Mayer for winning the 2012 National Ethics Trial Competition!
- Why has the law school shortened library and building hours on Fridays and Saturdays?
| Student Services
- Change of division requests: March 21 to 30.
- Extended building hours on Saturday, March 31.
- Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam: New Illinois rule.
- Joke of the week.
- Office hours.
- Pass/fail revocation: Deadline is April 27.
- Official student withdrawal process.
- Student health insurance information.
- Academic Resource Library.
- Student business cards.
- Counseling Center information.
- Did you miss the federal loan exit counseling sessions?
- Reminder: Complete the FAFSA for the 2012-13 academic year.
- Planning to study abroad during the summer 2012 term?
- New cashier office hours.
- Financial aid refunds.
- How to receive your Perkins Loan.
- "Professionalism Series" Programs.
- March 20: Fellowships Panel.
- March 20: "Famous Family Law Cases: Representing Sports and Entertainment Figures."
- March 21: Professionalism Series: How to Handle an Assignment.
- March 22: Small and Mid-Size Firm Reception.
- March 22: International Law Career Panel and Immigration & International Law Networking Reception.
- March 22: SBA "5 Under 5" Alumni-Student Networking Event.
- March 23: Webinar for Public Interest Loan Repayment Tips.
- March 28: "Managing Law School Debt: What Every Student Should Know."
- March 29: Chicago-Kent Gallery Night: Panel Discussion and Networking Event (4 to 7 p.m.), hosted by the Art and Cultural Property Law Society.
- March 30: 2012 Great Lakes Environmental Law Symposium.
- April 2: Chris Tyrrell, "Legal Lazarus: How the Law Helped Build My Business, Buried It, and Brought It Back to Life Again."
- April 4: "Preparing for Diversity Job Fairs."
- April 4: Corporate Counsel Night.
- April 4: Presentation regarding the Skadden Fellowship Program at the University of Chicago.
- April 6: Deadline to RSVP to Federal Bar Association "Judicial Clerkships 101" Presentation.
- Résumé Books: Opt-in and report results.
- Make-up procedures for mandatory 1L orientation.
- OCI: Don't forget to report callbacks and offers!
- March 21: Deadline to apply for Vietnamese American Bar Association of Washington Hong Duc Clerkship.
- March 23: Deadline to apply for Equal Justice Works Summer Corps.
- March 26: Edwards Wildman Spring 2012 Reception for Diverse Law Students.
- April 5: Applications due for the Justice John Paul Stevens Public Interest Summer Fellowship Program.
- Summer 2012 NAACP Law Fellow Program.
- ABA John J. Curtin Jr. Justice Fund Summer Legal Internship Program.
- AFL-CIO Lawyers Coordinating Committee Minority Outreach Program.
- The American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division 2012-13 Scholarship.
- Davis-Putter Scholarship Fund for Progressive Social Change.
- Defense Research Institute (DRI) 2012 Law Student Diversity Scholarship.
- Save the Date: Cook County Bar Association Minority Law Student Job Fair, August 17.
- Save the Date: Indianapolis Bar Association Diversity Job Fair, July 26 and 27.
- Job fairs: Don't forget to report callbacks and offers!
- PSLawNet: Public interest job postings and summer funding resource.
- Updated Vermont Guide to State Judicial Clerkships.
- 2011-12 Government Honors & Internship Handbook.
- June 8: Chicago-Kent Night with the White Sox.
- April 3: Take a Break Alumni Speaker Panel: "You're Hired! Building a Network That Leads to Jobs."
- Commencement information:
- Your Commencement timeline.
- Required forms: Cap and gown order form due April 1.
- Do NOT complete graduation forms from IIT Main Campus.
- Information for out-of-town graduates.
- Hotel information.
- Class of 2012 Class Gift:
- Announcing the 2012 Class Gift Project.
- Look out for additional faculty gift-matching days!
- Your 2012 Class Gift Committee.
- Thank you to our donors!
- Upcoming alumni networking events:
- March 22: Immigration/International Networking Soirée.
- March 30: Chicago-Kent Gallery Night.
- April 5: IPLS Alumni Awards Reception.
- April 11: Diversity Networking Reception.
- April 15: ILW 15th Anniversary Reception.
- April 26: Public Interest Awards Night.
- Apply now for the Kane County Bar Foundation Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Black Women Lawyers' Association of Chicago Essay Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Geri and Ron Yonover Fellowship. Deadline extended and amount increased.
- Apply now for the Bohemian Lawyers' Association of Chicago Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Illinois Judicial Council 2012 Scholarship.
- Apply now for the London Law Consortium Lord Acton Memorial Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Robert Masur Fellowship for Civil Liberties.
- Apply now for the Grand Rapids Community Foundation Scholarships.
- Apply now for the Polish Women's Civic Club Inc. Scholarships.
- Apply now for the Knights of Dabrowski Crusade for Education Program.
- Apply now for the Central Illinois Women's Bar Association Scholarship Program.
- Apply now for the Illinois Government Bar Association Scholarship.
- Apply now for the DuPage County Chapter of the Justinian Society of Lawyers.
- Apply now for the DuPage Association of Women Lawyers.
- Apply now for the Darleen J. and Robert L. Walker Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Honorable Timothy C. Evans Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Asian Law Student Scholarship.
- Apply now for the William McClain Scholarship, funded by the Black Lawyers Association of Cincinnati and the Cincinnati Bar Association.
- Apply now for the Women Trial Lawyers Caucus of the American Association for Justice (AAJ) Mike Eidson Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Jewish Federation of Metropolitan Chicago's Academic Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Get Prepped LSAT Prep Law School Scholarship.
- Apply now for the Michigan Auto Law Diversity Scholarship.
- Submit essays now for the Institute for Justice Center for Judicial Engagement Law Student Essay Contest.
- Getting ready for midterms.
& Student Programs
- Informational meeting about the In-House Clinical Programs and Certificate Programs.
- In-House Clinic applications will be available this week.
- LADR (Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution) Certificate Program applications are now available.
- Criminal Litigation Certificate Program applications are now available.
- Access2Practice Legal Externship Program information:
- Fall 2012 Semester: Intellectual property (IP) legal externship (for credit).
- Summer 2012 semester: Environmental law legal externship (for credit).
- Fall 2012 semester: U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.
- Summer 2012 semester: Legal externships with U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
- For a description of all clinical programs, please visit the Law Offices home page at www.kentlaw.edu/academics/clinic.
- Call for Legal Research and Writing teaching assistants for 2012-13.
- International Center hours and travel signatures.
- No new entries this week.
& Information Services
- Connecting to wireless.
- Symantec Endpoint Protection Antivirus available for student use.
- Using webmail in Internet Explorer 9.
- Service alerts and news.
- Latest McAfee DAT file is sdat6650.
- Enter the third annual Library PeepShow!
- Take a virtual tour of the library.
- Library hours.
- Become a fan of the library: Find us on Facebook!
- Secure your personal property in the library!
- General library policies.
- CALI Lessons: Free study materials upgraded for 2011-12.
- No current announcements.
- Apply for the CAJT Summer Fellowship! Deadline is April 1.
- 1Ls: Submit your letter of intent for the Certificate in Public Interest Law.
- Weekly activities schedule.
- Spring 2012 building and library hours.
- 2012 spring Chicago-Kent student hiring procedures.
- 2012 biweekly pay calendar.
- 2012 spring semester discount parking for DTC faculty, staff and students.
- Defibrillator at the Downtown Campus.
- Downtown Campus safety tips.
- Shuttle bus schedule.
- DTC Bursar's Office hours.
- Administration and Finance office hours.
- Online room reservation form.
- Student assistant needed in Office of Admissions for spring 2012.
- Join the Chicago-Kent Advocates.
- Admissions office hours.
- April 19 to 20: 29th annual Section 1983 Civil Rights Litigation Conference. Volunteers needed!
- Upcoming CLE conferences.
- Record templates available for students and staff.
- Human Resources hours at the Downtown Campus.
Click here for the template
to use for creating Record announcement pages. More information is available on the
About the Record page.
NOTE: Student organizations that need assistance with posting Record announcements may submit their full announcements to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on Wednesdays. Announcements from those student organizations not posting their own Record pages will be collected together on one page. (Follow the links below to organization announcements.)
- March 29: Join us for our first Gallery Night, 4 to 7 p.m. Contact us if you'd like to show your work.
- March 30: Attend the 2012 Great Lakes Environmental Law Symposium.
- Help volunteer at the Environmental Law Symposium on March 30.
- Follow the Journal of Environmental and Energy Law on Twitter.
- April 3: Lunch event with attorney Evan Brown, noon to 1 p.m., room TBD.
- April 5: IPLS Alumni Awards Ceremony and Reception, 6 to 9 p.m. in the 10th floor event room.
- March 20: Discussion on "Ag Gag" Legislation.