Asian Pacific American Law Students Association
APALSA presents "Building Bridges: Honoring the Legal Pioneers of the Legal Profession"
Tuesday, April 12
4:30 to 8:30 p.m. (Panel starts at 5 p.m.)
Chicago-Kent College of Law, 10th floor event room
It's time for our 2nd annual Law Professionals Mixer! On Tuesday, April 12, we're going to be "Building Bridges: Honoring the Pioneers of the Legal Profession." We've invited and confirmed three judges, all trailblazers in their own right, to come and discuss their experiences, what's inspired them to make it to the bench, and the contributions of Asian Americans to the legal profession.
Our featured speakers are:
- The Honorable Edmond Chang, federal judge of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, the first-ever Asian American Article III federal judge to sit in the Seventh Circuit
- The Honorable Israel Desierto, associate judge of the Circuit Court of Cook County, Chicago-Kent alumnus and the first-ever Filipino American judge to be appointed in the circuit
- The Honorable Ketki Steffen, associate judge of the Circuit Court of Cook County, newly appointed in 2010 and the third Indian-American judge to be appointed in the circuit
You can't miss this event! E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
International Law Student Association
International Law Career Day
April 13 – Room 570
Come join the International Law Student Association for a day of exploring careers in international law! This is a great opportunity to meet attorneys both from the public and private sectors. The event begins with two speaker panels in room 570. Coffee and snacks will be served.
3 p.m. panel:
- Penelope Lechtenberg, partner at Hinshaw & Culbertson
- Theresa Corcoran, partner at Kempster, Keller & Lenz-Calvo
- Kendra Fogarty, economic and environment program officer at the Canadian Consulate General
- Linda Babich, member at Azulay Seiden Law Group
- Nicholas Milissis, supervisory immigration officer at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
4 p.m. panel:
- Catherine Gryczan, partner at Baker & Daniels
- Andre Fiebig, partner at Baker & McKenzie
- James Sawyer, partner at Drinker Biddle & Reath
- Mark Wojcik, professor at John Marshall Law School and former clerk at the U.S. Court of International Trade
The speaker panels will be followed by a Networking Soiree in the 10th floor event room from 5 to 7:30 p.m. Come join attorneys working in international law and immigration law for appetizers and drinks! This is a great opportunity to make contacts within the field!
Please contact Meagan with any questions: email@example.com
Co-sponsored by ILS, UNA-USA, CSO, and the Alumni Association
Just the Beginning Foundation (JTBF)
April 14: JTBF and Chicago-Kent's Annual Networking Fundraiser
On Thursday, April 14, Chicago-Kent and the Just the Beginning Foundation (JTBF) will be holding an annual networking fundraiser at the M Lounge (1520 S. Wabash) at 6 p.m.
Come mix and mingle with local attorneys and other Chicago-Kent students. There is a $5 entrance fee, wristband specials, and a raffle. All proceeds will go to JTBF.
Please RSVP by e-mailing Ali Ammoura at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to attend.
Student organizations sponsoring this event include the Asian Pacific American Law Students Association, Black Law Students Association, Hispanic-Latino Law Students Association, and South Asian Law Students Association.
JTBF is a multiracial nonprofit organization comprised of lawyers, judges and other citizens that seeks to increase racial diversity in the legal profession and on the bench. JTBF is dedicated to developing and nurturing interest in the law among young persons from various ethnic backgrounds underrepresented in the legal profession and supporting their continued advancement through summer legal institutes and yearly mentoring events.
South Asian Law Students Association
April 19: Satyam Journal Launch Party!
Dear SALSA members, supporters and the Chicago-Kent community,
It is SALSA's honor and privilege to invite you to the debut party for the South Asian Law Students Association's new journal, Satyam: The Chicago-Kent College of Law's Journal on South Asia and the Law. Our journal is believed to be the first journal of any American law school to focus exclusively on South Asian-American legal affairs. The event will be held on Tuesday, April 19, from 6 to 9 p.m. in the 10th floor event room. SALSA is privileged to have the Honorable Sanjay Tailor, associate justice for the Circuit Court of Cook County, as our keynote speaker.
Admission is free, and appetizers and drinks will be available. Please come and join us in this celebration! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Sathish Dhandayutham (email@example.com) or Rohit Paul (firstname.lastname@example.org).