Student Bar Association
Read the minutes from the March 18, 2012, SBA General Assembly meeting.
Women in Law
Women's Bar Association of Illinois presents Young Lawyers, Young Leaders Conference
Sponsored by Chicago-Kent Society of Women in Law, Chicago-Kent Career Services, DePaul University School of Law, Aloha
Thursday, April 12, 2012, at Chicago-Kent College of Law
5:30 to 6:30 p.m.
Cocktail reception, which is open to all law students and attorneys, with complimentary food and drinks
Featuring a raffle for a free Kaplan Bar Test Prep Course
6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Panel discussion: Young Lawyers, Young Leaders
Panel discussion will provide law students and young lawyers with advice for achieving excellence in leadership.
Featured panelists include: The Honorable Elizabeth M. Budzinski, Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Division;
Dana Davenport, Associate General Counsel at SunCoke Energy, Inc.;
Vaishali Rao Supervising Attorney, Mortgage & Financial Unit, Consumer Protection Division, Illinois Attorney General
with moderator Joan Steinman, Distinguished Professor of Law, Chicago-Kent College of Law.
RSVP by April 4 to email@example.com.
Questions? Contact co-chairs Caitlin Groh, Jeanine Oury, or Kristin Thomas.
WIL Executive Board Elections are coming up next month!
See below for details and email Liz with questions (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Candidates submit statements by Friday, April 13 (email to email@example.com): Submit 1-2 paragraphs outlining your student activity experience, interest and commitment to WIL, any goals you want to see implemented next year, additional personal information, etc.
- Online voting on Monday and Tuesday, April 16 to 17
- Winners announced on Wednesday, April 18
- Transition meeting for old and new officers on Friday, April 20: Time and details TBA
- Treasurer: Keep financial records, fill out requests for SBA funding/present funding proposals to SBA, make sure exec. members get reimbursed, and anything else dealing with money
- Secretary/"Record-Keeper": Keep meeting minutes, put events into the Record and student activity email every week, forward emails to WIL members
- Social Chair: Plan back-to-school social after first meeting and Spring Ladies' Brunch
- Philanthropy Chair: plan volunteer project in the fall, race in the spring, and assists with fundraising
- WBAI Liaison: Attend monthly WBAI meetings, help coordinate WBAI spring law student event, inform WIL members of WBAI events, and promote WBAI membership
- Social Media/Website Coordinator: Update Facebook page with events, work with Chicago-Kent staff to create new WIL webpage
- 3L Rep (2 positions): Help plan events and offer input at executive meetings, promote events by posting fliers, order food for general meetings, help secure speakers for panels, etc.
- 2L Rep (2 positions): Help plan events and offer input at executive meetings, promote events by posting fliers, order food for general meetings, help secure speakers for panels, etc.
Note: This is just a general list of responsibilities that the officers took on this past year and may change in the future. If you have questions about officer duties, check the current officer list on our TWEN page and email the person who currently holds the position that you're interested in.
Overcome Gender Stereotypes and Transform Your Career!
Please join us for an insightful panel discussion on gender bias in the workplace. Hear from Andie Kramer, author and frequent speaker on improving gender diversity, and an esteemed panel of women, who bring their unique experiences and perspectives on gender stereotyping in the workplace. They will address differences in male and female communication styles and provide best practices for maximizing your strengths in the areas of negotiation, networking and general communications.
Andrea S. Kramer, Esq.
McDermott Will & Emery LLP; Chair of the Board Women's Leadership & Mentoring Alliance; Chair of the Board, Chicago Foundation for Women
- Dr. Neelum T. Aggarwal, MD
Associate Professor, Rush Alzheimer's Disease Center, Member of CFW's Asian American Leadership Council
- Deane B. Brown, Esq.
Beermann Pritikin Mirabelli Swerdlove LLP
President, Women's Bar Association of Illinois
- Janine Lewis, MPH, PhD(c)
Executive Director, Illinois Maternal & Child Health Coalition;
- Angela Vasandan, AIA
General Manager, BHS Consulting Corp.; Member of CFW's Asian American Leadership Council
For more information about WLMA, visit our website at www.wlmaconnect.org.
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
4:30 p.m. - Cocktails
5:30 p.m. - Panel discussion (via satellite)
McDermott Will & Emery LLP
227 West Monroe Street
Chicago, IL 60606-5096
($25 registration fee.)
Presented by »
Women's Leadership and Mentoring Alliance (WLMA)
Chicago Foundation for Women (CFW)
Women's Bar Association of Illinois, Diversity Committee (WBAI)