American Constitution Society
October 6: American Constitution Society's Supreme Court Term Preview
As the Supreme Court begins to hear oral arguments for the 2015 Term, don't forget to check out the American Constitution Society's Supreme Court Term Preview!
Date: Tuesday, October 6
- Michael Scodro, Partner at Jenner & Block LLP and former Illinois Solicitor General
- Christopher Schmidt, Chicago-Kent Associate Professor of Law and Director of the Institute on the Supreme Court of the United States
- Sheldon Nahmod, Chicago-Kent Distinguished Professor of Law and nationally renowned expert in the field of civil rights law
Environmental Law Society
October 28 to 31: 23rd Conference of the ABA's Section of Environmental, Energy and Resources Law
Are you interested in attending the 23rd Conference of the ABA's Section of Environmental, Energy and Resources Law from October 28 to 31? If so, please email firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m. today! Serious inquiries only please.
Here is more information regarding the event.
Intellectual Property Law Society
October 13: A Day in the Life of a Patent Attorney
Gavin O'Keefe of McDonnell Boehnen Hulbert Berghoff will be speaking to students about a typical day in the life of a patent attorney. Mr. O'Keefe will discuss the differences between prosecution and litigation and their impact on billing rates. Mr. O'Keefe will also discuss how efficiency plays a role as an associate moves up the ranks at a law firm.
Lunch will be provided. Room C40. Noon to 1:30 p.m.
Labor and Employment Law Society
October 9 and 10: Seventh Circuit Fellows' Fall Program for Law Students
Friday, October 9, 2015
Networking reception hosted by Cozen O’Connor LLP
Location: 123 North Wacker
Drive, Suite 1800, Chicago, IL
Time: 5:30 to 7 p.m.
Saturday, October 10, 2015
Program hosted by Winston & Strawn
Location: 35 West Wacker Drive, 47th Floor, Chicago, IL
- 9 a.m. - Registration and continental breakfast
- 9:30 a.m. - Hot Topics and the Realities of Practice I
- Traditional Labor Law
- Wage & Hour Law
- Off-Duty Conduct
- 10:45 a.m. - Break
- 11 a.m. - Hot Topics and the Realities of Practice II
- Employee Benefits Law
- EEO Law
- Practical Tips in Dealing with Individuals Who Raise Employment Claims
- 12:15 p.m. - Lunch, with an opportunity to interact informally with Fellows of the College
- 1 p.m. - Transitioning to Practice: Getting Noticed, Getting Hired, and Being Successful
- 3 p.m. - A Judicial Perspective on the Employment Law Practice – Hon. Matthew Kennelly,
USDC-Northern District of Illinois
- 3:30 p.m. - Adjourn
An RSVP is required for both events. Please do so by Wednesday, October 7.
Jennifer Motley – 410.972.4712 or
Student Animal Legal Defense Fund
Animal Legal Defense Fund is a hiring clerk for summer 2016! Clerkships are available in our Litigation and Criminal Justice Programs. They are open to second-year students only (rising third-year students). There is a monthly stipend of $2,400, to assist you in paying for reasonable expenses, including room and board, gas, travel, and other expenses.
Please find more information on the webpages below:
Summer 2016 ALDF Criminal Justice Program Clerkship
Summer 2016 ALDF Litigation Program Clerkship
SALDF upcoming events
October 5: Bake sale and leafleting
We need people to sign up to bring goods (both people and animal-friendly) and sit at the table! Proceeds from the bake sale will help subsidize attendance to the Animal Law Conference. This will be from 9 to 5 p.m., 3rd floor outside the Spaketeria. Sign-up online.
October 7: HEART training
This is really an awesome opportunity to learn how to be a better advocate for animals, and everyone is encouraged to sign up and take advantage of this training! It will be from 6 to 8 p.m., room C20, vegan food served!
Please RSVP here at the Eventbrite page or by emailing email@example.com.
October 8: Watch the documentary Speciesism
Speciesism will be screening October 8 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Vegan snacks served! Speciesism is a 2013 documentary film by American director Mark Devries. It explores the concept and practice of speciesism, the assignment of value to beings on the basis of species membership.